PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It's nothing like putting a can of soda in the icebox.

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Don't poke him too hard, he's only starting to get obsessed. :LOL:

I don’t think it will age in a closed tin as that’s basically an anaerobic environment. That’s why folks put them in jars with a few inches of headspace.
The whole concept of aging came from the drastic change people noticed from tins, long before anyone was using jars. So, it is sorta odd to think that it doesn't happen in tins.

It wasn't that long ago that the majority of pipesmokers reported that they were not noticing any changes from aging from jarring bulk, not as much as they see from tins.

Of course the thinking has changed because of most things being offered in bulk and the square and rectangle tin issues from a certain tobacco company. But, it still rubs me the wrong way when I hear people suggesting putting perfectly good tinned tobacco in jars. I wasn't active here the summer when everyone changed gears on the square tins, so it still rubs me wrong when I hear people suggest jars for tins.

And, for what it's worth... a blend NEVER becomes so different from under 10 years of age, that it tastes like a totally different blend... to me, and I have pretty good tasters. Even latakia doesn't flatten out that much in 10 years. Its bizarre to hear some of the stuff people report now.

Even Virginias, merely lose some of the hard edges that make it kind of bitey. I don't really taste much more sugar in the blends. It just mellows a little. I can still identify FVF as FVF after 10 years, and Annie Cake still tastes like Annie Cake. They don't become so different as to not be able to tell what it is.