PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
A couple different things to me.
Thing 1... Some Pease blends dried an hour or so but from a fresh tin were ashy and chemical tasting. Shake them around and open them up a bit then leave it a couple weeks or so and delicious. But to me that's more likely a blend topping issue... or may brain telling my taste buds lies.

Thing 2... 1.5+ years on PS Luxury Bullseye Flake does real wonders. Different than just the topping drying off or airing a bit, as described in Thing 1. Starts to be noticeable to me around 1.5 years and just gets better with age.

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
I guess for me it would have been about a year for Chelsea Morning. Didn’t care for the stuff the first time I tried it so I jarred it and forgot about it. About a year later I tried it again. To make a short story shorter, it’s now my go-to coffee and tobacco morning blend.

SourShank

Lurker
Nov 26, 2021
Germany
Probably anecdotal but one night I had a bowl of Vauen No 22. Tasted everything as described on the tin. It was peppery, sweet, had hints of leather, campfire, etc etc. The very next morning the same tin tasted like hot air and ash in what at the time was both my pipes. Over a year later I bought another fresh tin and it tasted like hot air and ash once again. I will never understand how the first bowl tasted so wonderfully but the following ones were so bland.

Now that I remember, Vauen's Evening Mixture did the same to me as well. Tasted like I was biting into fresh pineapples with a vivid aftertaste of walnuts. The next day it only had a detectable (by me) room note of it and after that it was extremely bland. I had to get my Peterson drunk on Everclear to make it forget the ghost.

Haven't touched aromatics since. Must not be for me.

Reactions: PeterPipersPizza
A lot of answers to this question would be opinion I assume

To give even a partial authoritative answer to this we need the following persona
  • Smokes at least 10-12 bowls a day, over many years. This is required to eliminate random factors like mood, meals eaten, drinks taken, etc…
  • Number of blends is extremely limited (2-5) over long periods of time from multiple tins of the same blends with different age points, and also to eliminate random differences between each tin
  • Yet the number of blends also need to be high, as it might happen that different blends age differently
  • The two points above while is somewhat a fallacy, it is not when someone is smoking for many years
  • Super Taster
  • Detailed Note taker - cannot rely on memory

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find that all blends need at least a week after opening to breathe and open up. To me, a freshly opened blend tastes very muted. I find that it needs to oxidize just a bit before the flavors open up, much like a bottle of wine or whiskey.
Rather depends on the RH where you live, specifically what it is where you "decant" your tobacco. In Arizona, it'd be too dried out. In Alabama in the Summer, it'd be too wet.

Please put your location in your Profile!

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: woodsroad and BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first tried Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, I hated the stuff. I buried it for 6-8 months tried it again in a different pipe( Rad Davis Zulu) and totally fell in love. PC and SP both had sales on the 3.5 oz tins within a week of each other. One sale was for 9.99 a tin and the other was 10.99 a tin. I bought 35 tins from one and 30 tins from the other. All I new was that I had a winner of a smoke in my cellar and today I can't believe everyone of those tins is almost 10 years old. I have been smoking the 2012 and it is awesome. It is the closest blend to aged Stonehaven that I have smoked.
All of my tins are almost half the original price. I was surprised it went up so quickly.