PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What makes one pipe make the tobacco smoke and taste better than another?
Other than airflow I've never noticed a difference between one pipe or another other than aesthetics. Different blends taste the same to me in any non ghosted pipe I smoke them in. For me it's like saying macaroni and cheese tastes different if eaten from a bowl rather than a plate.

20201018_012510.jpg

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The hard and fast rule with chamber size is that there is no hard and fast rule. The common wisdom was that flakes worked best in tall narrow chambers and that pots were great for complex blends. But, a lot of smokers, including Greg Pease, like how flakes smoke in a pot.

I've smoked all kinds of blends, in all kinds of cuts, in all kinds of chamber shapes, with excellent results.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Good wood, good drilling, good prep, the smoker's inner fantasy life.
Hah! Probably the latter. But I’m gonna go with draw as perhaps having the most profound affect on a particular pipe.

That DM1989 Stanwell would be on the verge of going out. Whenever I “thought” it was out, a few gentle puffs brought it to life and this went on for that entire smoke. I could keep that 1989 Stanwell pipe at a smolder.

Made the tobacco taste great for the duration.

That pipe isn’t large. But it was that year’s Danish Pipe Smoking Championship Pipe. I also bought a 1987 Danish Pipe Smoking Championship Pipe which I have yet to smoke.

Thoughts?

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I'm generally of the mind that it's technique that makes for a pleasant smoke. However, I have noticed that my pipes with a more narrow chamber smoke rubbed out flakes noticeably better than let's say, a big Savinelli bent pot. Do we think that there's anything to this or am I just crazy?
You are probably correct, and many would agree with you. In fact, I just realized this with my new Jack Howell, which has a chamber diameter of 0.65. I have been smoking a certain popular flake, which I found to be unextraordinary. But in my narrow-chambered Howell it came alive.

Other than that, I have found that one of my Barling EXEXELs with a big chamber smokes other Virginias incredibly well.

So it may come down to the particular flake.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Indirectly linked to chamber size, my feeling is that the delicacy of the pipe itself plays a role in how I approach it.

I'm almost certainly a little gentler with my smaller pipes than I am with my monsters, though I'm sure they're no better drilled on average.

RainKing

Might Stick Around
May 24, 2020
I don’t think about chamber size personally. Instead, I let the pipe tell me what type of blend it will house. Sounds silly, I know. But I more prefer to separate my pipes and blends based on ascetics alone. Some pipes just scream English, while others just look better for aromatics. Can’t explain it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don’t think about chamber size personally. Instead, I let the pipe tell me what type of blend it will house. Sounds silly, I know. But I more prefer to separate my pipes and blends based on ascetics alone. Some pipes just scream English, while others just look better for aromatics. Can’t explain it.
As good as any other methods. I personally like bulldog and rhdesian for English/Balkan. But on some days, I'll put Va in them.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I am finding that my very narrowest chambers--1/2 inch or so--bring out a nice sweetness in the burley-oriental blend I usually smoke. In broader chambers I may notice more complexity in the savory flavors of the same blend.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Ive heard Tall and narrow for VA and Flakes and Shallow and wide For English and Aro over and over and through my own experimentation it seems to be true. If its a Burley blend I just throw it in average pot same with Shags but I just packem tighter.

Thing about Orientals I'm sure its just a weird personal quirk but straight orientals in a small shallow egg just seems right , tried them in others , just not the same...

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
With .75-.80 diameter, do you think it matters what the chamber depth is ? For instance, how about only filling bowl halfway or three quarters ? Do you think that affects the smoke properties ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A 1"×2" chamber is my preferred but I also like a deeper chamber with the same diameter.