PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have two Chacoms. Both are good smokers.

This is my Chacom Renard 185 Edition 1 (9mm filter) that's dedicated to SG Black Forest.
20190124_150009 - Edited (1).jpg

This is my Chacom Reybert 81 (no filter) that is dedicated to Christmas blends...my cheap Christmas pipe.
20190111_194750 - Edited (1).jpg

I'm sure I'll buy another Chacom in the future.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I own 4 chacom pipes. Each one is a fantastic smoker. I personally highly recommended them. What pipe are you eyeing up?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Chacom, a straight tapered billiard and a small yacht, and both are good smokers and have sustained a new appearance over some years. I find French pipes in general above their price point in quality. I think my first pipe, a Tinderbox St. Ives, was made by Chacom, a bent pot with an interesting vertical saddle stem, still looking good and smoking well.

Reactions: dcon and seanv

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My usual pitch, but I remind you that the French pipe makers made briar the standard pipe material, and that most of the much loved English shapes were borrowed from the French.

Reactions: seanv

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Chacom may be a little underrated because it is moderately priced. It is sort of an inkblot test to see if you are looking at the pipe or the price tag. You can spend twice as much and not get a better pipe.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have two Chacom's. One is ditched because the stem doesn't fit my teeth, but the other is one of my best smokers. It's a cheap bulldog of the Comfort line. Good clencher and always smokes good.

Reactions: rajangan

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I don't have any but I have a really good impression of them. The B&M I go to has a lot of them and I admire their shapes and wood. I sat with one of their guys at a pipe dinner. Super great people.

Apparently, Morel works for them now and does many of the freehands, so there's also that.

That's all I can say.

Edit: This might be a Chacom. Not sure. It's got the name of the B&M, as it's a limited edition anniversary pipe for the store.
DSC_0557~2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tomatamot

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My usual pitch, but I remind you that the French pipe makers made briar the standard pipe material, and that most of the much loved English shapes were borrowed from the French.
The Chacom I'm getting is an estate Deauville. Anything special about the name? It's a smooth straight billiard.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Got an old chacom grand match billiard. Big wide bowl, smokes great. It has a stinger, which I usually remove(can't seem to get this one off) but it actually smokes fine with it in. It's the barrel type stinger with holes on the side, so I can still stick a pipe cleaner through without taking a the pipe apart.

Anyway, good solid pipes.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I have a Chacom Reverse Calabash that I’m quite happy with. Beautiful orange grian pattern with a nice matte finish. I’m probably too new to the game to discuss and compare the intricacies and nuances of different pipes and brands but I’d recommend it and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Chamcom.

I’m somewhat surprised that France doesn’t get more respect and have more standing in then pipe smoking community, considering their indisputable history in respect to pipe making. With maybe the exception of warfare, the things the French do, they do quite well. When I visit France I plan on making a quick pilgrimage to Saint Claude.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The last Chacom I picked up was a new stout bent Rhodesian Natural Smooth(the 996). Fit and finish is the best I've gotten on a Chacom, balance is great and is an easy smoker, as are my other Chacoms.
I've never had a bad Chacom, nor have I had a bad experience with But Choquin, nor any of the other French makers. I think in the entry to $150 pipe category, the French are the best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.