PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
funny thing is I kind of wish I would have found out how superior I find French pipes earlier. So mind if I ask what's the issues you've found with French made? Mostly curious if it's a matter of taste or a quality control type issue.
I have a modern-era Chacom and it's definitely the nicest of all my briars (which are all sub-$200 factory pipes), and it smokes the best of all my briars (tied with my Peterson spigot). I'd say between that, my Savinelli and my Peterson, the Chacom definitely gave the most bang-for-the-buck.

That's just one anecdotal account though. It's the only French made pipe I have and the only Chacom. I only have one of each of the aforementioned brands. So take my praise with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Groot5225

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
funny thing is I kind of wish I would have found out how superior I find French pipes earlier. So mind if I ask what's the issues you've found with French made? Mostly curious if it's a matter of taste or a quality control type issue.
It might simply be a matter of taste, but I've never smoked a French pipe that I thought tasted right. Usually just plain bitter and nasty. To each his own.... puffy

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
SP doesn't have any, but I haven't done a search for them. If I run across a bent Dublin that meets my sniff test, I might try one out.

I don't know if they sell to the market here in the USA, but I'd guess it should show up soon if they do...

Reactions: AroEnglish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had good luck with Chacom and other French pipes, so I give this pipe fair consideration. I like its plain finish and what appears to me a buffed copper band. I don't need more pipes, but if I were in the market, I might look more closely.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I like the colors and the shapes but there's something about pipes with both sandblasted and smooth sections that I find jarring visually. It's as if they couldn't make up their minds about which way to go.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I like the colors and the shapes but there's something about pipes with both sandblasted and smooth sections that I find jarring visually. It's as if they couldn't make up their minds about which way to go.
What happened is, they were making a pipe that showed nice grain but it also had some flaws. Not wanting to give up the grain to texturing they made what I call a "two tone". puffy

Reactions: litup

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think they make good pipes and being in France I can pick up all the French pipes I want. The sad thing is that Im really not crazy about most French designs. I prefer Italian and Danish. Its kind of a shame since I can buy French estates out the wazoo on ebay for a low price. Some French pipes use nice looking briar but a lot of it is really vanilla. The French also seem obsessed with those irritating little metal filters. At least you can yank those out.

Aug 11, 2023
What happened is, they were making a pipe that showed nice grain but it also had some flaws. Not wanting to give up the grain to texturing they made what I call a "two tone". puffy

Really? I always kinda liked the "half rusticated" look. There was a particular Mr. Brog I really wanted like that but could never get right. Thas what it looked like on Amazon but they kept sending me a different one😒 but correct model/color (No. 301 Cherrywood). I wanted that EXACT look, not a random.

Attachments

• Rez6NXi.png
    Rez6NXi.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: