PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Somebody censored the title "censered" to a word with no relationship to the subject matter. Perhaps referring to a dictionary rather than exclusively relying on a spell checker would help.
Noticed that. Very insensitive.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Russ Ouellette said that the incense aroma is created by mixing Latakia with an Oriental variety.

Exactly which Latakia, Cyprian or Syrian, I don't know; and I have no idea which variety of Oriental would be used.

Email Russ, and he could help you out.
Cortez, I pm'd Russ about this very topic. He replied that the incense aroma comes from the interaction between latakia and Macedonian orientals such as basma and yenidje. Smyrna and other Turkish, on the other hand, give the blend a different (non-incense) profile.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Interesting, yaddy. I get a similar "incense" aroma from Russ's Magnum Opus, which I believe has Yenidje in it. A damn fine blend that one.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
warren - - good catch. Never noticed someone changed the title. (Any old mod have ability to put it back? Censors probably do burn things, but they're not round metal thingy's.
Cuculain... Two and a half years ago, I think, they changed things. Idea was that English translation of the Mass was too footloose and fancy free. They wanted to bring it in line with other translations. It's now closer to the Spanish translation, for instance: "Y con tu espiritu" is "and with your spirit," verbatim.
The *tough* parts are saying "consubstantiated" instead of "one in being with." No one gets the point of "making up" an English word to be PC with the rest of the world. Let's see... and "Lord I'm worthy that you should enter under my roof" is supposed to translate better from the Latin. -- A lot of little stuff like that.
Eh, old timers get "louder" at those parts, reasserting the versions they grew up with. Kind of funny.
Just trying to keep the congregation awake!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
yaddy, Bryanf, pitchfork -- thanks for the tips.
And yeah, Russ might have just the thing. I'll just ask him. Otherwise, going for the brands you mentioned here.
Thanks!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I bend a knee every week at a "low" Episcopalian parish. The next time we break out the thuribles, I'll chunk in a gracious pinch of Nightcap, Larry's Blend or Gaslight.
sdcowboy: PM sent.
Fnord

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Glad im not Catholic id have fallen asleep as well, my church had two guitars, drummer and the pastor sometimes got a hold of the tambourine that we hid from him every chance we got(nice guy no rhythm.) We had the goings on in the church on a projector and recorded the sermon for online listeners. It was fun for a while till i moved about 2hours away lol.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I still attend the Latin Mass and always enjoy it, although not a frequently as I would wish. I also noticed that the church had changed a few things and in my opinion not for the better. That being said Vatican II upset quite a few people in my family, probably along with the abolition of the Office of The Inquisition General (Happened in 1807 actually). If you really want to get fumigated try the Russian Orthodox Church as they really lay the incense on with a spade!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I'm liking fnord's intentions. (Going to think hard what I might stick in the censor under the briquette. (But won't people wonder why I brought a churchwarden stem with me as I'm waiting for them to come down the aisle with it?)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You might find what you're looking for in Magnum Opus, BlackHouse, Fusilier's Ration and the new WhiteKnight, as they all have that Latakia/Macedonian Oriental interplay.
Russ

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Me thinks you desire aromatic blends... Try Capt. Bob's Blend. Available from www.smokingpipes.com. My Catholic Pastor prefers cigars but loves to smell my Blend. Perhaps it will someday end up in his incense burner at the Alter?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
A friend just commented yesterday that my Artisan's Blend smelled like incense. Tastes like tobacco, though. The closest thing I can think of is a Lakeland.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
Fnord, I never received the PM. You might try again
I bend a knee every week at a "low" Episcopalian parish. The next time we break out the thuribles, I'll chunk in a gracious pinch of Nightcap, Larry's Blend or Gaslight.
sdcowboy: PM sent.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.