PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Curious question…do you fellas & ladies, if they are any present, suppose we in the Pipesmagazine.com membership cellar or buy as we go? I believe that most pipe smokers are utilitarian worldwide & simply enjoy a handful of pipes at best with their favorite blend. I used to cellar “tons of tobaccos”…bags, jars, tins & tubs of the stuff. I’d chase after the bags of gold & the stuff that was unobtainable. However, I realized that collecting & cellaring 💯s of pounds of tobacco was completely impractical for me. I mean, I never was going to smoke it all and would likely die having my better half left throwing out smelly tobacco totes full of the glorious 🍂.

Now, I enjoy a small cellar of blends I know I love …Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, St. Bruno, Victorian Match, Opening Night, Luxury Bullseye Flake and some odd & ends here and there from past collections. All told I’ve probably 20-40 lbs of tobacco and don’t see the need for cellaring more for practical purposes. If I need to re-up on a blend I stock up. I no longer chase discontinued & hard to find stuff as it makes no sense for me. Especially, when there is so much good stuff readily available.

What is your mileage & I understand it may vary? 🙏☕

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm going to downsize the cellar later this year, after I finish the current production. Cellaring was fun, and I'm glad that I did it when I did, before a number of blends I like went the way of the dodo, and the quality kind of took a dump. It's been a few years since I bought much of anything.

Also, my rate of consumption has gone way down, from 6 to 8 bowls a day, at the height to 1 or 2. I'll be long gone before this stuff is, so it makes sense to sell it off to others to enjoy. Otherwise, it will all go in a dumpster, despite my instructions in my will. No one is going to want to bother. I'm more concerned about the pipes, some of which are quite rare and valuable. No dealer is going to pay "fair" value for them.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I'm going to downsize the cellar later this year, after I finish the current production. Cellaring was fun, and I'm glad that I did it when I did, before a number of blends I like went the way of the dodo, and the quality kind of took a dump. It's been a few years since I bought much of anything.

Also, my rate of consumption has gone way down, from 6 to 8 bowls a day, at the height to 1 or 2. I'll be long gone before this stuff is, so it makes sense to sell it off to others to enjoy. Otherwise, it will all go in a dumpster, despite my instructions in my will. No one is going to want to bother. I'm more concerned about the pipes, some of which are quite rare and valuable. No dealer is going to pay "fair" value for them.
I too find myself smoking less than I predicted just a few years ago. This means I have way more tins than I need and am thinking about what I can part with. Have been buying since 2009. I did my last large orders about 3 years ago so I am waiting another couple of years on that vintage so it has PipeStud's required 5 years of age.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I have just over 100 pounds in my cellar which my current pace of 1 bowl per day won't likely touch in my life time. That said, I cellared mostly wide when I first started smoking and have a lot of blends I'll probably sell or trade for something I'd enjoy more. Piping is part of my retirement plan. I want to have a cellar that'll withstand what will probably turn into 3+ bowls per day as I reach my back porch sittin' years.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA

Sounds like a plan. As for your pipe collection, we are all just custodians for the briar we hold and love. Hate to see your lovely Barlings & Britwood go to the dumpster. Also, I know it’ll suck for you to part with them too. 🙏☕

Reactions: Egg Shen
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I have just over 100 pounds in my cellar which my current pace of 1 bowl per day won't likely touch in my life time. That said, I cellared mostly wide when I first started smoking and have a lot of blends I'll probably sell or trade for something I'd enjoy more. Piping is part of my retirement plan. I want to have a cellar that'll withstand what will probably turn into 3+ bowls per day as I reach my back porch sittin' years.
Love the sound of that…”back porch sitting’ years.” 😍🙏☕

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I too find myself smoking less than I predicted just a few years ago. This means I have way more tins than I need and am thinking about what I can part with. Have been buying since 2009. I did my last large orders about 3 years ago so I am waiting another couple of years on that vintage so it has PipeStud's required 5 years of age.
Steve would be the ideal play to go…or the Tinbids site seems to get top dollar on unobtainables. 👍🤣☕

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I've decided to stop cellaring, for now at least. I took this decision after I opened a tin of tobacco I cellared two years ago, to find that my tastes had moved on. But now I'm left with ten tins of the stuff, that I'll likely never smoke, and even less likely to sell. I may begin the process again if I find my tastes have genuinely settled, but no sign of that so far.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
One of these winter Sunday afternoons I’ll dive into the tubs and boxes and do some sorting. I’m more intentional (but still experimenting a bit) so I know blends I like that are readily available and will focus on getting more of those and cellaring (but not huge quantities given the amounts I’d need) and still enjoying some older stuff from time to time. No “doomsday” concerns and I could easily get by with 4-6 blends I can get any time, but some are from small shops so those are the ones I’m focused on making sure I’ve got laid by.

Once I stopped adding to my cellar at 400+ pounds, I realized that I smoke more that I had thought. I can easily go through 8ozes in a month, and that is about average. I went through and threw away a lot of stuff, gave away a lot of stuff, with even more that I am certain that I will never open. With all of that, I still only have about 66 year's worth. I need to have quite a bit left when I die to fuel my pyre.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I've decided to stop cellaring, for now at least. I took this decision after I opened a tin of tobacco I cellared two years ago, to find that my tastes had moved on. But now I'm left with ten tins of the stuff, that I'll likely never smoke, and even less likely to sell. I may begin the process again if I find my tastes have genuinely settled, but no sign of that so far.
Revelation of tastes changing happens. It did me especially with Latakia blends. ☕

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
One of these winter Sunday afternoons I’ll dive into the tubs and boxes and do some sorting. I’m more intentional (but still experimenting a bit) so I know blends I like that are readily available and will focus on getting more of those and cellaring (but not huge quantities given the amounts I’d need) and still enjoying some older stuff from time to time. No “doomsday” concerns and I could easily get by with 4-6 blends I can get any time, but some are from small shops so those are the ones I’m focused on making sure I’ve got laid by.
Slip of the 😜 there at the end Hawkeye 🤣…but, definitely get your meaning. 👍☕