PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is there a point in time with cellaring (in sealed tins/jars) when the tobaccos start having diminished returns (flavor, texture, etc) from cellaring too long?

Most of the posts I read talk about cellared tobacco that has been put away for 2-5 years, and some posts which refer to 10+ years. Id like to know, as a general rule, if longer cellaring time is better across the board, or is there an ideal time frame/peak for cellaring.

I know certain tobaccos eg Virginas cellar 'better' than other tobaccos, so I assume there would be different time frames for different types of tobacco.

As always, I appreciate the input and advice.
Okay, so one person's experience, plus observations from pros.

Most of what changing a blend is going to do will happen during the first 5 years after tinning. After that further change becomes more incremental. That's pretty much what pros say, and I have no reason to doubt it from my own experience.

What does seem to happen over a longer term is that the flavors imparted by the original constituent tobaccos meld together more, so that when you're smoking the flavor is pretty constant, without the little shifts that happen with a younger blend.

Do tobacco's peak and fade and eventually go bad? Of course they do. If you haven't noticed, that's the nature of the universe. Every thing in it matures, peaks, and dies. Everything.

The oldest blend I've smoked was close to 100 years old and it was entirely disgusting, having decayed well past the wraith stage and entered the zombie vomit zone. The one surviving recognizable note was from the burley in it. The Virginias were disgusting shit.

I've smoked 35 year old Bengal Slices from it's original tin, the only one in a group of them that hadn't lost its seal, and it was amazingly good, with the Latakia still potent. Mostly, by that age the Latakia has become a memory, but the other orientals will still be good.

Based on other aged tobaccos I've smoked, my experience is that they're in their prime up to around maybe 30 years, more or less, depending on type, storage conditions, and luck, and then they decline. And, as always, there are exceptions, a tin of this or that tobacco that much older and still marvelous when opened, but they're exceptions. And, very likely that superb but ancient blend will rapidly turn to zombie vomit after being exposed to fresh oxygen, so be sure to have a group of friends around when opening to share in the miracle before it turns into the curse.

Personally I'd put the range at 5 to 20+ years for best time to consume blends. I have no objection to trying some really venerable tobacco blend if offered. Why not? But I'm not going to piss away money on really old tins, unless it's at discount.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If this turns out to be the case, I'm going to suggest taking a few bowls worth, and vacuum sealing the rest until ready to smoke more, then re-seal, and so forth. Taking all the air away should preserve it consistently with what it's like upon opening. At least that's what I'll be trying when the time comes
You'll retard the rate of aging, though not sto it, because there is some oxygen left. Maybe flush with argon gas?

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Ya, I guess I'm thinking and refering to the round 2 oz tins with the pull tab lids. Those I can't smell anything from. But the larger round and rectangular tins that have the lids you pop off or unscrew, ya I can smell those sometimes.

yes I was referring the 1.75oz metal tins, not the Sutliff, C/D style ones. And I can smell all of them that I just sniffed including Orlik…

however after smelling the bottom paper label like Gervais mentioned, I think that’s where it’s coming from…. My nose was playing tricks on me, one nostril sniffing the crack, the other paper😃. Alrightythen…

• Haha
Reactions: monty55

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Takes all kinds I guess. That said, I'm happy to trade you new tins for your 10 year old ones.
You know it's funny, because I've had many different experiences and opinions on different bowls from the SAME tin/jar, depending on the day. Somedays its a great, flavourful bowl, the next smoke might leave very little to be desired. I think there are so many factors involved with our palette at that particular time of day.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
You know it's funny, because I've had many different experiences and opinions on different bowls from the SAME tin/jar, depending on the day. Somedays its a great, flavourful bowl, the next smoke might leave very little to be desired. I think there are so many factors involved with our palette at that particular time of day.
That's certainly been the case for me, often depending on the pipe used, and other variables. Most of my smoking is done outside unfortunately, which I think makes a big difference in taste. When I get the chance to smoke indoors I seem to get a richer, more flavorful smoke.