PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Is there a point in time with cellaring (in sealed tins/jars) when the tobaccos start having diminished returns (flavor, texture, etc) from cellaring too long?

Most of the posts I read talk about cellared tobacco that has been put away for 2-5 years, and some posts which refer to 10+ years. Id like to know, as a general rule, if longer cellaring time is better across the board, or is there an ideal time frame/peak for cellaring.

I know certain tobaccos eg Virginas cellar 'better' than other tobaccos, so I assume there would be different time frames for different types of tobacco.

As always, I appreciate the input and advice.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
3 to 10 years for Virginia based blends is ideal. As long as the seal remains intact, I'm not sure there's an upper limit although some say there is. I've had 30 year old MB Virginia that was still very strong and flavorful.

With that said, if every bowl I smoked was between 5 and 10 years of age, I'd be perfectly satisfied. If I could control it perfectly, it wouldn't age more than 10. I've not seen significant benefit in aging past 7 to 10 years. Whatever minimal benefit there may be is likely outweighed by the risk of the seal failing or something else going wrong.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
3 to 10 years for Virginia based blends is ideal. As long as the seal remains intact, I'm not sure there's an upper limit although some say there is. I've had 30 year old MB Virginia that was still very strong and flavorful.

With that said, if every bowl I smoked was between 5 and 10 years of age, I'd be perfectly satisfied. If I could control it perfectly, it wouldn't age more than 10. I've not seen significant benefit in aging past 7 to 10 years. Whatever minimal benefit there may be is likely outweighed by the risk of the seal failing or something else going wrong.
Thank you, thats exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
You'll probably get lots of responses like "it depends" which is what I would say. My experience is that Virginias age well while latakia blends loose flavor with time. However, I have some tins of Full Virginia Flake with 10+ years of age that aren't as good as newer tins of same blend.

Reactions: seanv

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
However, I have some tins of Full Virginia Flake with 10+ years of age that aren't as good as newer tins of same blend.
This is important to keep in mind. It will change, but there's no guarantee it will get better to you with time. Some of the flavor notes that make you appreciate a blend might disappear with aging. I know that's been my experience.

Reactions: seanv

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
You'll probably get lots of responses like "it depends" which is what I would say. My experience is that Virginias age well while latakia blends loose flavor with time. However, I have some tins of Full Virginia Flake with 10+ years of age that aren't as good as newer tins of same blend.
Given the irony of your name, I’ll ask…. I have some 4 year old tins of Peterson Old Dublin English, Latakia based. The tins still smell Smokey, but I think I’ll smoke them this summer and buy more. I only keep them as backup, not to age them.

I wonder how long they’d still smell good and Smokey?

Reactions: kcghost

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Many English and aromatics actually get worse with age from what I hear. I mostly smoke burley blends but some have a bit of Virginia and do mellow a bit with some age. Not much though.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is a little difficult to answer this. Generally, Latakia are at their peak at 7 years of age. After that they will lose favor. Ten to twelve years is best for Virginias. Very little to be gained aging aromatics. Now, having saif that I have smoked several bowls of Balkan Sobranie that was a spectacular smoke after forty years in the cellar. Same thing with Virginias. You never know.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Many English and aromatics actually get worse with age from what I hear.
I can’t speak to aromatics, but I feel this “English blends lose flavor after extended cellaring” idea that people mention here is potentially confusing for people who haven’t actually smoked aged English blends. What’s missing from this—and I’ll call it a gross simplification rather than a myth—is that this so-called diminished flavor may actually be richer, mellower and much more appealing for the smoker. Yes, English blends change with age. But many find those changes incredibly appealing. (I’ve had one 40+ year old English that was one of the most phenomenal blends I’ve ever smoked.)

To say that ”many English“ blends “get worse with age” just simply isn’t true, as far as I’m concerned.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Funny you say that. Almost every other opinion on long -aged FVF describe it as "Nirvana". Different strokes for different folks!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I strongly believe, from many many other smokers experiences with long aged blends (from the 70,s mostly) most, if not all of them say it's incredible. Based on that, I'm confident the vast majority of your cellar, given that it is all tucked away nicely in jars or sealed tins, will be perfectly smokeable, and dare I say "incredible". I'm talking even 30-50 years from now.

This very old leaf may have to be rehydrated, and possibly vacuum sealed once opened to retain that aged quality, or else you'll be dealing with the feared "mummy dust".

Just ask @sablebrush52 🙄

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Once the seal goes, the flavor goes with it. The likelihood of of that happening increases with age. Rehydration can't do much, other than prevent the tobacco from crumbling when handled.

Reactions: gervais

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
They smell smokey because the tins are open? If yes, then you'll probably want to smoke them. If no, how do you smell anything with a sealed tin?
they are indeed sealed. if you smell the crack (yes I realize what I just said there) smell comes out, what can I say. Most normal tins do, even aros…. I have an unopened Mac Baren Vanilla flake here that has a nice smell to it,

anyhow another poster answered my question above, as you didn’t😃

• Wow
Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
they are indeed sealed. if you smell the crack (yes I realize what I just said there) smell comes out, what can I say. Most normal tins do, even aros…. I have an unopened Mac Baren Vanilla flake here that has a nice smell to it,
You sir have a great smeller! That's extraordinary.

You should be one of those people that are paid well because of their acute sense of smell.

I can't smell anything from a sealed tin, but I wish I could.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
You sir have a great smeller! That's extraordinary.

You should be one of those people that are paid well because of their acute sense of smell.

I can't smell anything from a sealed tin, but I wish I could.
I can also catch faint wiffs of the blend from a perfectly sealed tin. Odd, for sure. Maybe the tin/label itself absorbs some of the smell at the factory and holds onto it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I strongly believe, from many many other smokers experiences with long aged blends (from the 70,s mostly) most, if not all of them say it's incredible. Based on that, I'm confident the vast majority of your cellar, given that it is all tucked away nicely in jars or sealed tins, will be perfectly smokeable, and dare I say "incredible". I'm talking even 30-50 years from now.

This very old leaf may have to be rehydrated, and possibly vacuum sealed once opened to retain that aged quality, or else you'll be dealing with the feared "mummy dust".

Just ask @sablebrush52 🙄
I've got a pretty nice cellar of blends aged 3 to 12 years. I've yet to smoke any aged blend that wasn't improved, at least to my palate. Not saying it's impossible or even different for others but I'll take the aged version every time.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I can also catch faint wiffs of the blend from a perfectly sealed tin. Odd, for sure. Maybe the tin/label itself absorbs some of the smell at the factory and holds onto it.
Ya, I guess I'm thinking and refering to the round 2 oz tins with the pull tab lids. Those I can't smell anything from. But the larger round and rectangular tins that have the lids you pop off or unscrew, ya I can smell those sometimes.

Reactions: gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Once the seal goes, the flavor goes with it. The likelihood of of that happening increases with age. Rehydration can't do much, other than prevent the tobacco from crumbling when handled.
If this turns out to be the case, I'm going to suggest taking a few bowls worth, and vacuum sealing the rest until ready to smoke more, then re-seal, and so forth. Taking all the air away should preserve it consistently with what it's like upon opening. At least that's what I'll be trying when the time comes