Cellaring tobacco - questions

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Want to ask a further question on cellaring based on cosmicfolklore's comment. Here's the item I wanted to get input on

Some questions:
  1. How quickly does this "break down" happen?
  2. What does "break down" mean?
  3. How old does the tobacco need to be for this to be a concern?
  4. Let's say I have a large mason jar of an aged blend (5 years +) that I open very infrequently (couple times a year) and consume over many years, would it be better for my smoking enjoyment to have that large jar split into a bunch of smaller jars to prevent accelrated degredation of the tobaco at the bottom of the jar?
I would concider 20+ years hitting that point. Just as a start. Each tobacco, how its cured, cased… what happens is that the cells break down, becoming more fragile. The cell walls are more easily broken and the essential oils are released. But, as I’ve said, lots of variables, with many tobaccos maybe taking possibly 50 years. Its a gamble, but nothing is without risk.

But the risk can be mitigated by merely using smaller jars, so that one can smoke through the jar faster once opened. Planning…

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Want to ask a further question on cellaring based on cosmicfolklore's comment. Here's the item I wanted to get input on

Some questions:
  1. How quickly does this "break down" happen?
  2. What does "break down" mean?
  3. How old does the tobacco need to be for this to be a concern?
  4. Let's say I have a large mason jar of an aged blend (5 years +) that I open very infrequently (couple times a year) and consume over many years, would it be better for my smoking enjoyment to have that large jar split into a bunch of smaller jars to prevent accelrated degredation of the tobaco at the bottom of the jar?
1. Depends on the tobacco, the conditions under which it was stored, and the age. I've had some superannuated blends that were great for the first day, went dull by the second day, and were crap shortly thereafter. I'm speaking to 35 to 60 year old blends.

1a. I've also had the same tobacco, from the same bulk bag (like a 250 Gram box of St James Flake, sealed at the same time in different fresh jars, stored next to each other for years, be very different when opened. I don't understand it either.

2. It means to me that the flavors go positively strange. I've referred to some blends as tasting like I imagine zombie vomit must taste.

3. There's no absolute cut off.

4. Yes. Every time you open up that jar you interrupt whatever aging process is going on. It might or might not, be harmful. When I open up a tin I smoke it. And, I don't use large jars, mostly 4 to 8 oz jars.

Let's say I have a large mason jar of an aged blend (5 years +) that I open very infrequently (couple times a year) and consume over many years, would it be better for my smoking enjoyment to have that large jar split into a bunch of smaller jars to prevent accelrated degredation of the tobaco at the bottom of the jar?
This will probably set someone off, but if you are opening the jar, you are not aging that tobacco, not in the sense that someone who cellars is. If you are dipping into the jar, you are merely looking to smoke that tobacco over a long term. It may change, but not in the same way.

A 5+ year old tobacco probably isn't going to turn to shit on you as fast as I am talking about above.

Recently, a guy who scored a 20+ Escudo, got it into a jar as soon as he got it, smoked a few bowls of it over the course of a week or so, but wanted to share it with a few of us in the pipe club. When we smoked it, it was shit. He was all, "I don't understand. It tasted fantastic." But, by the time we got to it, it had lost all of its oils, because he had waited so long and had been dipping into it.
I know that some guys have 100's of jars that they smoke out of, and that is great. But, in my experience, when you deal with a really old tobacco (20-30-60 years old), once you pop that seal, the clock starts ticking. How long aged, what you do with it after breaking into it, how long after you disturb that microcosm going on inside that jar which is no longer full of ambient oxygen, are all variables. So many variables. I just would suggest approaching a really old vintage tobacco a little differently that one that you've just bought. Maybe it will last weeks of smoking, maybe not. I just wouldn't want to be "that guy" who is left with a jar of crap because they wanted to try and stretch out how long they can smoke it.

But, if we are just talking 5+ tobaccos, I have yet to run into one under 20 that turned to shit. However, if you are dipping into it... your chance of losing all of those oils by stretching that jar out over a year is greater.

Me, when I get hold of a really old tobacco, I wait till some friends are over, and pop that thing with a bottle of wine, and just enjoy the hell out of it till it is gone. But, if we are talking just 5 years, you're pretty safe.

For me, it is just about setting up safe practices. How will I mitigate... by expecting the worst case and taking measures to prevent. Otherwise, just do it your way.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
First absolute is that their are very few absolutes. My experience has been that aromatics start loosing flavor after 2 to 5 years of cellaring. Straight VA's, Cavendish & Burley's or blends either collared or stoved(another can of worms) seem to have an indefinite storage life. Always use many smaller mason jars rather than a few larger ones.

Disclaimer: This is just my experience and may not be something that will make you happy...

Reactions: FLDRD