PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
Hey guys,

A few noob questions on storing tobacco:

1 - I've seen multiple times guys suggest to cellar your tobacco in a mason jar or whatever for a few weeks before smoking it. What's going on here? Hasn't the tobacco been "cellared" on the shelf in the tobacconist for probably a lot longer than a few weeks? How does putting it in a mason jar for a few weeks make any difference?

2 - When cellaring, should the tobacco be packed in the jars loosely or jammed in tight?

3 - Should I am be aiming to have as little air/oxygen in the jar as possible or a decent amount of "head space"?

Personally I think it's just nicer to have my tobacco in jars than the tins (especially with those ugly big warning labels they all have now). But is it really making any difference? Especially over a period of only a few weeks/months?

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
1: It is good to let your tobacco acclimate before smoking. You will taste a difference. I do the same with cigars.
2: If jarring for long term, pack tight.
3: A little room at the top is good.

I've only been at this for a year and a half so maybe someone else can chime in.

Reactions: Anchovies

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
On point 1; I have had tobacco's which where "meh" when the tin freshly opened and smoked directly after a bit of drying. Those tobaccos really opened up when you open the tin, let it sit for 2 or 3 hours in the in while regularly mixing it a bit and then let it sit for 2 weeks before smoking. You could reach the same result with this as putting it in a jar, but a jar will keep it fresh for longer.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
1. I wouldn't move tobacco to a jar or mylar bag if I were going to smoke it in the next several weeks, I don't think there will be a noticeable change in the tobacco in that short a time. All tobaccos change with time, most of them will lose the rough edges, the component tobacco's have more time to meld, etc. The degree and rate of change varies with the tobacco, for example the change in VA's can be quite significant. If you want to save room use mylar bags for long-term storage.

2. I don't pack my jars too tight, most of my jars contain flakes which were packed to maintain the integrity of each flake. A rule of thumb I've come across is that for 2 oz of tobacco you need a 4 oz mason jar (i.e, 1:2 tobacco to jar ratio). Not hard and fast but not need to cram it in. YMMV

3. Related to #2 above, I don't pay too much attention to the amount of air in the jar to bag. I could vacuum pack the bags but leaving some air in there will facilitate the aging process. Some forms of tobacco, e.g., plugs, are impossible to load into a mason jar (intact) without headroom

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Letting it breathe can make a noticeable difference. The first time I smoked 20th Anniversary XX Flake it was fresh from the tin, and it was so tart and acidic it made my eyes water. A couple months in a jar and it’s a totally different blend.

2 oz. of ribbon will end up getting smashed into a half pint sized jar no matter what, so I don’t worry about if it’s too tight or not, just smush it in there. With bulk flakes I prefer to use the baby mason jars and cut the flakes in half. Not out of particular concern for how much air there is, but just to avoid all the wasted space of a half pint jar.

I’ve never payed much attention to how much air is in a jar when I cellar it. If I’m using Mylar I squeeze out the air before I seal it up, but otherwise just cram it in a jar and screw it closed.

1 - I've seen multiple times guys suggest to cellar your tobacco in a mason jar or whatever for a few weeks before smoking it. What's going on here? Hasn't the tobacco been "cellared" on the shelf in the tobacconist for probably a lot longer than a few weeks? How does putting it in a mason jar for a few weeks make any difference?

2 - When cellaring, should the tobacco be packed in the jars loosely or jammed in tight?

3 - Should I am be aiming to have as little air/oxygen in the jar as possible osee abr a decent amount of "head space"?
1. Tobacco comes to you ready to smoke. The small amount of change that comes from aging tobacco gives us, who have had the money and foresight to set back hundreds of pounds the power to lord it over you newbies. You should strive to be more like us, because we are the rich and powerful and we have more refined options that you. puffy
Really, if for no other reason, everyone should be setting back tobacco to hedge against the future. Laws are coming, FDA is coming, boogie men are coming, and tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. Those who do not stock up will be crying in the rain one day, while we rich and powerful will lord our foresight over you as you plead, cry, and whimper.

2. I do not pack tightly. Two things feed the microbes that age the tobaccos, moisture and oxygen. Plus, really aged tobaccos, like 20+ years old, will break down faster once the jar is popped. So, the more that is in a jar, the faster you will have to smoke once you pop it. I only ever pack 3-4oz in a jar at a time. YMMV

Some may argue against this, but I am not some neophyte. Sure, some may not degrade faster, but once you've experienced watching your tobacco turn to shit dust, you hedge your bets. Take the risk, or not. Once you jar up thousands and thousands of dollars worth of tobacco, it would be foolish to just pack them into large jars as tight as you can, IMO.

3. see #2

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unless you're in a desert climate, there's no need to jar an opened tin while it breathes. I don't jar tinned tobacco period.

I pack mine however it turns out each time. That depends on how much tobacco I'm jarring that occasion. I don't think it makes any significant difference in aging how tight or loose.

Leave air, it's needed for the aerobic chemical process which is critical to aging.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Except, no matter how tight you pack it, there is still plenty of air within the clump of tobacco.

Many think that it's the anaerobic process that provides the best results while aging.

Afaik, no one, not even Greg Pease, has been able to make long term parallel comparisons on how the two methods (one, lots of air, two, very little) would pan out over 5, 10, 15 years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hey guys,

3 - Should I am be aiming to have as little air/oxygen in the jar as possible or a decent amount of "head space"?

Personally I think it's just nicer to have my tobacco in jars than the tins (especially with those ugly big warning labels they all have now). But is it really making any difference? Especially over a period of only a few weeks/months?
1. The effect varies from blend to blend, but some blends to seem to open up a little after exposure to fresh oxygen brought about by opening the tin, so some smoker will open a tin a week or two before actually starting to smoke it. Left in a close, though no longer sealed, tin, tobacco won't dry to mummy dust in a week or two. Dumping it in a jar ensures that it will not dry out while it oxygenates. YMMV.

2. I always pack tight with just about 1/4" airspace at the top. Tight means a 1:2 ratio, 2oz tobacco in a 4oz jar, 4 oz tobacco in an 8oz jar, etc, etc. I don't use large jars, generally no larger than 8oz. I do have some taller 12oz for long flakes.

3. Answered in question 2.

4. If you decide to age longer term, namely years and decades, jar or Mylar heat seal the tobacco. Square and rectangular tins are not intended, and certainly not manufactured nor guaranteed, for long term storage.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use some of these large plastic containers with the silicone gaskets. I have never had one fail and the tobacco is perfectly fresh.
The other jars I use are for keeping open tins fresh. These tins will last years and I bought them in 1at 2012 at Walmart. I have jars that can fit anywhere from 1lb all the way to 5 lbs. I needed the room it was that simple.

You know, Brian Levine had mentioned in a show that paking tightly can cause a stove effect and cook the tobacco.
Maybe, maybe not, but when I pack tightly, I end up having to use a spoon to dig the tobacco out. Plus, as I have said over and over, the more you put in the jar, the more you have to smoke when you pop the jar. I'd rather just have twice as many jars to spread smoking the tobacco out over a longer period of time.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For whatever reason, a lot of blends taste better a few days after the bag or tin has been opened.
Now when I receive a blend that's new to me, I jar the baccy and wait a few days before smoking a bowl as a matter-of-course.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not aging or cellaring when you open the tin to let it just breath to "settle" it for smoking. Some blends when just opened are little "sharp". This calms down after a week or two. Strong Latakia blends some times do this. Strong red Va also do this to me. After about a week or two, it takes the edge off the blend and much mellower to enjoy.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Hey guys,

If its tinned tobacco and unopened I don't jar. I do jar tinned about a week after I open them. Bulk goes straight to a jar because the poly-bags are not impermeable. I always leave a little head room to allow for circulation of natural gases and breathing. I think this helps the tobacco to age and ferment better. From my experience non-aromatics do well for long term storage, most aromatics do not as they loose some of their distinguishing topping flavors. This is why I limit the volume of aromatics that I purchase because I smoke them less frequently.

AMDG

Lurker
Jun 26, 2022
1. Tobacco comes to you ready to smoke. The small amount of change that comes from aging tobacco gives us, who have had the money and foresight to set back hundreds of pounds the power to lord it over you newbies. You should strive to be more like us, because we are the rich and powerful and we have more refined options that you. puffy
Really, if for no other reason, everyone should be setting back tobacco to hedge against the future. Laws are coming, FDA is coming, boogie men are coming, and tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. Those who do not stock up will be crying in the rain one day, while we rich and powerful will lord our foresight over you as you plead, cry, and whimper.

2. I do not pack tightly. Two things feed the microbes that age the tobaccos, moisture and oxygen. Plus, really aged tobaccos, like 20+ years old, will break down faster once the jar is popped. So, the more that is in a jar, the faster you will have to smoke once you pop it. I only ever pack 3-4oz in a jar at a time. YMMV

Some may argue against this, but I am not some neophyte. Sure, some may not degrade faster, but once you've experienced watching your tobacco turn to shit dust, you hedge your bets. Take the risk, or not. Once you jar up thousands and thousands of dollars worth of tobacco, it would be foolish to just pack them into large jars as tight as you can, IMO.

3. see #2

Want to ask a further question on cellaring based on cosmicfolklore's comment. Here's the item I wanted to get input on

Plus, really aged tobaccos, like 20+ years old, will break down faster once the jar is popped.

Some questions:
  1. How quickly does this "break down" happen?
  2. What does "break down" mean?
  3. How old does the tobacco need to be for this to be a concern?
  4. Let's say I have a large mason jar of an aged blend (5 years +) that I open very infrequently (couple times a year) and consume over many years, would it be better for my smoking enjoyment to have that large jar split into a bunch of smaller jars to prevent accelrated degredation of the tobaco at the bottom of the jar?