Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Dear Abby,
I wrote a few days ago about opening a jar of HOTW I had cellared in 2012. It had lost all smell and taste. One suggestion was to air it out a few days. So, this afternoon, I opened up a jar of Jack Knife Plug- cellared in 2014. Again, the same issue. No smell and none of the taste you expect with Jack Knife.
Now, here are a few facts.
I had cellared them in Upstate New York and had kept them in my basement.
I moved in the Summer of 2014 to Florida. So, they went from "cool" to "hot, dry, and occasionally, humid." About six- seven years. Now, as of March, I live in PA.
There is lots of discussion about certain tobaccos aging better than others- VA, esp. Do I hear right?
Seems these two would fit...
BUT... have I made the fatal error with environment? Or time? Change of temp? Do I have about ten worthless jars of stored tobacco jars? Some are FM... some are no longer made... so, it would be a killer.
Bereft in PA

M

Mr. Beauregard

I think I've read about similar experiences with aged tobacco being near tasteless right out of the cellar, but once opened and exposed to "new" air for a week or more the flavors became more of what you would expect. I have no personal experience with this, but I'm sure others on this site probably do.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I think I've read about similar experiences with aged tobacco being near tasteless right out of the cellar, but once opened and exposed to "new" air for a week or more the flavors became more of what you would expect. I have no personal experience with this, but I'm sure others on this site probably do.
Thanks, Mr. B!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You haven't given it time to breathe yet so you don't know. Both of those blends have aged fabulously for me. I don't see how your moves would have altered the tobacco. Give them each a couple of weeks and then taste them.