PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I had several hundred pounds in Mason jars at one point. I didn't smell anything. But I did change to mylar bags. Less space, less weight and don't break.

I can’t smell anything from my Mason jars stored on open shelves in my closet. Quite a few smelly aromatics on the shelves. My wife has a serious sniffer and would let me know if she could smell it. I can smell Latakia from my unopened round tins of English blends. I store those in a plastic tote and the wife doesn’t complain. She would let me know if she could smell it.

Choatecav

Can't Leave
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I can’t smell anything from my Mason jars stored on open shelves in my closet. Quite a few smelly aromatics on the shelves. My wife has a serious sniffer and would let me know if she could smell it. I can smell Latakia from my unopened round tins of English blends. I store those in a plastic tote and the wife doesn’t complain. She would let me know if she could smell it.
Nor can I smell anything from my sealed jars.

When I think back to when I was a boy and my mom would can vegetables from the garden in these things and they would hold an airtight seal for years, I am hard-pressed to imagine that they couldn't keep out a tobacco odor. However, I do realize that when mom did her canning, the jars were put under steam pressure and the heat slightly melted the rubber seal. That did make them even more secure than just a tight twist under cool conditions.

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind
I take the rings off of mine after the seal sets, so that I can detect if any lose their seals. I've been doing this for about 10 or so years now. I've been doing this with canned food for way longer. It is standard practice for people who live the growing/canning lifestyle. I do not smell any aromas from my jars either. I keep mine in 70F year round.

BayouGhost

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Opened tins go into mylar for long term or 4 oz small mason jars for shorter term storage and I do a 3% seal with a 20-Dollar electric mason jar sealer. It barely puts any vacuum on the jar but makes the seal and eliminates any trace of tobacco smell. The 4 oz mason jars are a tight pack with 2 oz. of tobacco, but they save space. Pro-Tip. Put them all in a box and label it "Fishing Gear" to get one over on the warden.