Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I've heard that jarring aros tend to lose their flavor after 2-3 years. Saw a video from Aristocob a while ago where he jarred 5 lbs of Lane 1-Q and said it lost some of its flavoring.

That said, does anyone know if vacuum sealing aros will keep the flavoring intact? I'm sorta experimenting with 1/2 lb of Lane BCA where I vacuum sealed it last December. Wondering if removing the air will basically keep the tobacco in limbo. The only reason I'm trying this method is to have large quantities of favorite aros in case of price increase, availability, recipe change, etc. (Not doing this to age aros...really no point doing that)

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am aging my own Aros for up to 12 years.

Yes, there is some lose in flavor...

But... there is a mellowing effect that is worthwhile as well.

I have NOT had any issues with them souring or going bad.

So, if you like em, roll the dice and take a role. Just understand that beyond a certain point, beyond what I expect, if air gets to them, they are, how shall we say, Dust in the Wind.

Also, keep in mind, that you should age them in containers that are NOT too large. Once they have been aged for a good long while, their shelf life when open has a clock.

But, in my experience, no worries.

Aromatics gain the least improvement with age, but in a well sealed jar that is not constantly being opened or a sealed tin, all of the ones I have set back have maintained all flavors. Some of the first tobaccos I cellared were aromatics, and I will occasionally smoke a tin or jar.
Here are the ones I have set back...

1Q
Molto Dolce
Rattrays Bagpipers Dream
Rattrays Exotic Orange (now Exotic Passion)
MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake
Stanwell Vanilla
Holger Danske Mango
And, a few more.

Not a one has lost any flavor.

edit... ^I should mention that all of these have more than 10 years on them in my cellar. I wouldn't be caught dead buying an aromatic now, ha ha. And, I merely smoke these when my wife has her friends over.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I wouldnt recommend it, unless its from a source that you may be worried about obtaining it in the future. I dont smoke aromatics often, but i wont cellar/buy in bulk anymore. I had 10 tins of Nording Labrador. When i bought them fresh, the hazelnut topping was amazing. After over 5 years, most had lost that in the smoke. Tin note was still great.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Aromatics gain the least improvement with age, but in a well sealed jar that is not constantly being opened or a sealed tin, all of the ones I have set back have maintained all flavors. Some of the first tobaccos I cellared were aromatics, and I will occasionally smoke a tin or jar.
Here are the ones I have set back...

1Q
Molto Dolce
Rattrays Bagpipers Dream
Rattrays Exotic Orange (now Exotic Passion)
MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake
Stanwell Vanilla
Holger Danske Mango
And, a few more.

Not a one has lost any flavor.

edit... ^I should mention that all of these have more than 10 years on them in my cellar. I wouldn't be caught dead buying an aromatic now, ha ha. And, I merely smoke these when my wife has her friends over.
Well said @cosmicfolklore .
I quit buying Aromatic blends earlier this year. I have about 7-8 on hand; two of them are around 10 years old. I’m not in the jars very often and when I do I just grab the tobacco and reseal the jar quickly. Although the toppings and casings have diminished some they are still a good smoke.
On a couple, I have found I really like them with a pinch of Latakia or Perique or both. I have a Boswell blend called Pom Holiday from 2012. I really enjoy that tobacco with a pinch of Perique.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Jesster109

Lurker
Dec 2, 2022
Illinois
I have some aros that are 5+ years old. Some in tins which I can't comment on, some in jars that I dip in to from time to time. I can detect a minimal amount of fade to the flavors from the jarred aros. I would say for the most part it is safe to stock up. My "cellar" of aromatics is a consequence of smoking them less than before.

Now, my take on your question..... is there any benefit to cellaring aros? I say yes, cellar away, stock up on your favorites. It never hurts to have a reserve.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I stock all 3 of the Mac Baren Vanilla blends. Flake and loose....both good after a couple years as well (I think I have some flake from 2018, loose 2019 or 2020). My roll cake I think is early 2021 but I think that only came out 2-3 years ago?

I'm sure someone is bound to have longer here as I think it's a pretty popular aromatic? I have a few pounds of each type.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Has anyone here tried aged Mac Baren vanilla aromatics? The roll cake is fantastic, and I imagine that it could be amazing after a few years?
I age Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream. My current batch is 9 years old. The topping fades a bit, which I don't mind, and the VA gets smoother. The topping is still tasty, I've heard some toppings can go rancid over time, but not Vanilla Cream. Every now & then I buy new tin just to compare.

The Vanilla Roll Cake uses a different vanilla flavoring, so I don't know how that would age, but I have aged straight Roll Cake that is great.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
So with cellaring aromatics are there certain brands/blends that shouldn’t be cellared because they go rancid?

I’m really into Mac Baren Seven Seas Regular and also Lane BCA. Also EMP.

And when cellaring in jars, is there any benefit with using dar glass vs clear if kept from the light?

How about pouch tobacco like captain black if placed in jars?

Reactions: Briar Tuck