PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Way more than I need, way less than I want. Much less than others, probably more than some. I buy all sorts of stuff, though, because I never know what I'll end up liking and want to make sure I've got some breadth in my cellar if/when the time comes that some of these blends disappear for good. When I find one I like from the randomness that is my tobacco buying habit, I'm usually pretty quick to go deep on it, however. Deep for me, that is. I think the most I have of any one blend is 9-10 pounds, or roughly 12 lifetimes.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Way more than I need, way less than I want. Much less than others, probably more than some. I buy all sorts of stuff, though, because I never know what I'll end up liking and want to make sure I've got some breadth in my cellar if/when the time comes that some of these blends disappear for good. When I find one I like from the randomness that is my tobacco buying habit, I'm usually pretty quick to go deep on it, however. Deep for me, that is. I think the most I have of any one blend is 9-10 pounds, or roughly 12 lifetimes.

That said, I've also recently decided that some of the unicorns out there aren't really worth having other than the excitement of owning them. As has been pointed out to me by a new friend, there are so many blends available that you can likely find something of equivalent character, albeit without the points for novelty, that's both readily available and much more reasonably priced. I'm making it a point to seek out more of those comparable blends with prices that allow me to add them nearly 10:1 compared to the prices of their rarer counterparts. I get it, not only are some of the whales out there truly of much higher quality, they're worth their inflated prices to some, and I do own quite a few of those. I'm just starting to wonder if 66 year old me will give a shit about having owned them vs. using that same money towards a much larger supply of marginally 'inferior' tobacco. Only time will tell, but I'm much less on the hunt for them now and much more willing to part with some of the ones I have.

Had I the luxury to buy some of those blends when they were available and priced normally, it's no doubt that I'd be well supplied. But at current prices, it just doesn't seem logical while the cellar is still growing and lacking in so many areas.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve got maybe 30lbs. I didn’t start to seriously cellar until last year, previously I’d just buy a couple of tins, jar them, smoke them, and not really worry. Now, I’m more focused on stocking up on bulks that I like and a couple of tinned blends that I can’t do without but I’m a farmer and don’t have the cash to buy more than a pound or two a month usually. Might sell a kidney, I dunno, I have nice kidneys.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ve got maybe 30lbs. I didn’t start to seriously cellar until last year, previously I’d just buy a couple of tins, jar them, smoke them, and not really worry. Now, I’m more focused on stocking up on bulks that I like and a couple of tinned blends that I can’t do without but I’m a farmer and don’t have the cash to buy more than a pound or two a month usually. Might sell a kidney, I dunno, I have nice kidneys.

Just buy up a ton, smoke it, claim it on your crop insurance as a loss, rinse, repeat. I mean, losing tobacco to a fire HAS to be covered!

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Just buy up a ton, smoke it, claim it on your crop insurance as a loss, rinse, repeat. I mean, losing tobacco to a fire HAS to be covered!

Man I wish I could! And, I wish we had crop insurance...
wow, some have an insane amount. I just have about 250 pounds. I am currently smoking my cigars only
250lbs is quite a bit, that’s a cellar to be proud of!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
More than enough to keep me satisfied, but I’m a fickle smoker anyways. I can (and have) set my pipes aside for years without smoking them and now that we’re coming towards summer here in Florida, I feel my interest waning once again. I’ve only ever finished one tin of tobacco in my life and that was my first tin of Davidoff Royalty; other than that, I have always given the rest of an open tin away to some curious brother. Oh well, on to the next OCD obsession.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Probably around 80lbs...ain't no way I'm going to count it all. I've got it hidden in a bunch of places so if a fire or nazis come through, maybe some will survive.
Wow, I didn't even think about Nazis coming through. And I'm Jewish! Jeez...I gotta reevaluate my priorities here. Translation: I'm going to hide my tins and leave some Smoker's Pride lying around as a decoy.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have 30 lbs and that should last me about 13 - 15 years at my rate of smoking. That will put me around 50 years old. I would like to have more in the cellar but I am not sure I should at this point. I am finding that I prefer some blends with a few years on them. Some jars and tins I am opening are leaving a bit to be desired for my tastes and I am attributing that to too much age.

Status
Not open for further replies.