PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Question, not criticism, but how do you store your jars that makes putting the label on the lid better than on the side of the jars?
I put labels on the sides, so that as I stack the jars, I can still find what I am looking for.

sadly, I started my cellar using wide mouth jars. Because of the wide mouth they won’t fit in the racks. I just leave them in the cardboard the ball jars originally came in with labels in the side.

Attachments

• A85E112F-F58E-4C20-9B44-F97A77D19ACD.jpeg
    A85E112F-F58E-4C20-9B44-F97A77D19ACD.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 9

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Question, not criticism, but how do you store your jars that makes putting the label on the lid better than on the side of the jars?
I put labels on the sides, so that as I stack the jars, I can still find what I am looking for.
Most of mine are in the jar boxes sitting inside filing cabinet drawers so that when I open the drawer I can just look down and see the tops of all of the jars. Other jars are in a wooden "bottle crate" from Michael's (I don't think they sell them any more) that is set on its end in a cabinet so that the jar tops are visible.

2021-09-01_102955.jpg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I swear, since getting into making wines and brews, bottle crates have all disappeared. I use plastic crates to hold the bottles in storage, but I really wish I could find some with dividers that fit the Grolsch style fatty bottles.
I could have helped you out on that, but I ditched all of my bottles (wine, Grolsch, and regular) and associated crates and storage solutions many years ago when I switched to kegging everything. My how quickly times change though...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Talent with photoshop. I need to learn this skill one day.
Photoshop is great. Adobe is horrible, don't give them a penny of your money. Unless you absolutely have to use Adobe products you should first check out some of the alternatives. For example, GIMP seems interesting, and it's free.

There are quite a few open-sourced image editing programs that do everything Photoshop does. Check out GIMP - Downloads - https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
If you have a grasp of how layers work, then you should be able to edit anything you want with Gimp. It's free. And, layers aren't exactly rocket science, just a way of thinking about stacking layers of images to build any image you want.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
To chime in on GIMP, I downloaded it a while back to mess around with making custom labels, and it's pretty cool. I have no experience with photo editing, so I just google what I'm trying to do and learn the software bit by bit that way. Just made this last night for kicks, I think it looks fine for my purposes ?‍♂️

Ahab's Comfort Label 2.png
Ahab's Comfort Circular Label.png