PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I also find the term Cellar to be more distinguished than saying, "Yeah, I finally tossed all those tins and jars that were scattered into one central Tupperware box."

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
I've always assumed the term "cellar" was used simply as a take off from "wine cellar." I've heard of people cellaring liquor as well. For myself, I buy and store tobacco because of the likelihood of future unavailability, and not necessarily to age it, although some of my favourite tobaccos do seem to improve with some age.

I've heard of some people cellaring tobaccos that they disliked fresh as an experiment to see whether they improve with age. I would rather spend my money on what I know I like, aged or not. But, to each his own.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I may try it from my desktop Dino and see if I am able to create an account that way. I am ok with not having the the tin art especially if I have to make the labels myself b/c it's a pita.

Thanks for the update!

Some of the first writing on "cellaring" was from Greg Pease, which was inspired by what was going on in select circles of pipesmoking. I don't know the dates or the names of the original circle, but I believe it goes back to the early 2000's, maybe late 1990's.

Greg is also a wine aficionado, involved in winemaking also. So, it makes sense to use the tern borrowed from those who cellar wines. Using it as a verb... to cellar, cellaring, comes from the wine world also.

For years, we have leaned on the writings of Greg Pease for how and what to cellar, because he was the first, and it has only been recently since others have added to our dogma.

It seems to have all come from people looking for old tins, found left stowed back in storage by older pipesmokers after they passed away. Then folks noticed that tins of older Balkan Sobranie had mellowed and sweetened after setting in a dead guys pipe storage area for a few decades. Or, someone finds an out of date tin of a straight Virginia, which smokes amazingly sweeter than what they remember.

It hasn't been but until very recently that Europeans have joined the craze, and pipe tobacco companies expect their blends to be smoked right away, but also recently have considered the demands of those who cellar to make tins that will last longer than just what it takes to get from factory to the retail shelf.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Seems like a natural word to use. In addition to the etymology outlined above, I think it's continued use is due to the ease it provides in conversation about our personal tobacco inventories. It not only encompasses the volume of the stash, it also covers the implication that the tobacco is being stored for later use, and it refers to a physical location.

There is a smaller pipe and cigar shop near me (Not The Briary). the guy mostly sells civil war memorabilia... but, he was an elderly gentleman who bought an old Tinderbox. But, anyways, I asked about why he didn't sell tins, and he said that when he bought the shop, all of the tinned tobacco had expired past the date stamped on the tins, so he threw them all away. I'm not kiddin'...

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Bit of a newb Q but having not heard it in this context before joining this site I’m curious as to the history/logic that led to ‘cellar & cellaring’ being commonly used to describe keeping a range or quantity of pipe tobacco. If I was asked to describe it before joining I guess I’d have said something like collecting, storing, saving... even hoarding ;)

Hearing ‘cellar’ always brings to my mind images of a curved brick walled underground area that’s cool and dark with a few cobwebs etc & an ideal place to keep valuable wine safe, but maybe it’s different in the US
‘Cellar’ certainly invokes a rather more cultured/refined connotation than simple saying “I’ve stored a pound of xyz” & maybe that has a part to play in why it’s used given how much of pipe tobacco is about the flavour (& from what I read) collectability (as it is with wine)

The reality that the drawer (as in my case), file cabinet, plastic box, old chest etc etc full of tobacco is about as far from what I understand a cellar to be as keeping a dozen bottles of wine in the cupboard next to the beans and saying its cellared… hence my curiosity of how it came about?

For me, my sealed off basement stash is my cellar. I picked my top 25 blends and started ferreting away a tin or two of those with each tobacco order. I have a goal of collecting 10lbs of each (ish), so each time I get some in the mail I keep a tin for my rotation stash and put the rest with the cellar stash.

The pile of tins and jars in my study is just... available to smoke I guess. Different from the "cellar" though. It's a nice pile to look at while I smoke Chatham Manor out of the plastic tub every night lol.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve thought about this. Honestly with all things.. firearms. Does your spouse know what they’re worth? ALL of them? ?

pipes. Same question.

or really any other collectible or specialty item.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Status
Not open for further replies.