Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Generally, I have bought 1 or 2 tins to try and then bought more later. It somewhat depends on the blend. By reading reviews, I have learned the fellows that seem to know what they're doing and whose tastes seem to mirror my own. If they rate a blend high, I may buy 5 tins if it is one of those that are difficult to get.

The other exception is small batch blends. You generally have to roll the dice. If it sounds like something I'll like, I go for it and order 20 tins or more. I figure if I really don't like it, I'll at least be able to trade it or give it away. To date, those gambles have paid off well. I figure if I miss one out of 5, that is better than missing out on having the other 4 to enjoy over time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a large stash by Forums standards, very modest. I would say 2/3rds I haven't tried, but mostly just a tin of each, and all blends with familiar constituent tobaccos and good brands. I might coast for five to eight years with this stash at this rate, and I often order small but regular "treats" of blends every two or three months, so actually stay ahead of my consumption. The only questionable overage is a 2 oz tin and 7 oz tub of SPC Potlatch, orders promoted by PC's tempting pricing. I might be better off with a a 7 oz SPC Plum Pudding, but I only have a 2 oz tin of that. So you get the picture. I also have 7 oz tubs of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and what's left of a 7 oz Spillman Mixture, a 14 oz SWR Aro tub, and a number of jars of bulk, like D&R Two Timer burley. Nothing wrong with splurging a little to buffer against decreased variety and selection, but I would use some restraint. Something will be left on the market, and you can do your own mixes for variety as well. I know it sounds poor-mouth, but you can do a lot with grandfathered blends like Five Brothers, various Virginias, Cavendish, burley and standard pouch and tub blends. Don't take out a mortgage about it, I would caution. I'd like a tub of Granger up the road; I expect it to remain for sale for years to come.

Reactions: alexander87

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I don't have a large stash by Forums standards, very modest. I would say 2/3rds I haven't tried, but mostly just a tin of each, and all blends with familiar constituent tobaccos and good brands. I might coast for five to eight years with this stash at this rate, and I often order small but regular "treats" of blends every two or three months, so actually stay ahead of my consumption. The only questionable overage is a 2 oz tin and 7 oz tub of SPC Potlatch, orders promoted by PC's tempting pricing. I might be better off with a a 7 oz SPC Plum Pudding, but I only have a 2 oz tin of that. So you get the picture. I also have 7 oz tubs of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and what's left of a 7 oz Spillman Mixture, a 14 oz SWR Aro tub, and a number of jars of bulk, like D&R Two Timer burley. Nothing wrong with splurging a little to buffer against decreased variety and selection, but I would use some restraint. Something will be left on the market, and you can do your own mixes for variety as well. I know it sounds poor-mouth, but you can do a lot with grandfathered blends like Five Brothers, various Virginias, Cavendish, burley and standard pouch and tub blends. Don't take out a mortgage about it, I would caution. I'd like a tub of Granger up the road; I expect it to remain for sale for years to come.
[/QUOT
I have a monthly tobacco budget that I am squirreling away for a larger purchase to avoid shipping cost. I will make a smaller sample purchase before that to continue to taste new blends. Al great advice and very much appreciated.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Not me. However, I am notorious for smoking one bowl and diving right in. I know this is rash and that exuberance has served me poorly on occasion. However, reflecting on my purchases and reviewing the cellar, I have very few regrets.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes but I’m not too picky. I just buy in the genre I know I’ll enjoy. That being said, 98% of my cellar are blends I know I love and I’ve cellared them DEEP.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
100% of what's in my cellar is a tobacco I've tried.

98% of it I enjoy.
If I buy a new blend, I try it immediately.

But I suppose that comes with time and experience. When I first started, 98% of what was in my cellar I hadn't tried yet!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The only questionable overage is a 2 oz tin and 7 oz tub of SPC Potlatch, orders promoted by PC's tempting pricing.

I made the same blunder, ordering a few 8oz tubs of Potlatch because it was on sale and had good ratings. I've been regretting it ever since. Got a bunch of Mississipi Mud Special Reserve too but am terrified to try it after the Potlatch fiasco.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I buy tins based on recommendations and reviews, usually two tins, sometimes only one. These are added to the tins I know I will want, purchased in larger amounts. I have not worked my way through all the tins I have purchased before tasting but doing so "protects" the tins I know I like and allows them to age longer.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I made the same blunder, ordering a few 8oz tubs of Potlatch because it was on sale and had good ratings. I've been regretting it ever since. Got a bunch of Mississipi Mud Special Reserve too but am terrified to try it after the Potlatch fiasco.
I bet I know a guy who could take that potlach off your hands puf

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve bought two tins of everything GLP has released on release date. A few I’ve yet to try

Buying a few things to try when you get around to it is a whole different story. I've got a couple tins of blends I haven't tried sitting my in my cellar that I just haven't gotten around to yet. The most recent new-to-me tin from my cellar was Molto Dolce. It sat in there for probably the past year, and I just opened it up about a month ago. Great stuff! It's fun to have something new on hand to look forward to

This all great stuff and much appreciated. I have some blends that I love and have been smoking for a few years but I’m thinking more do I want to buy some big bulk purchases of stuff like the Sutliff Dunhill/Balkan sobrannie march blends and Arango Balkan Supreme or do I want to buy less of the tinned stuff.

I think having some of both is the way to go. Luckily I have a few cheaper blends I really enjoy that are staples of my cellar (Balkan Supreme is one of them), plus plenty of the more premium blends in tins that I smoke a little less frequently. Not every bowl needs to be some rare unobtanium blend puf

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve only stocked up on hard (ish) to get blends that I think will hold some value in the coming years. Namely Gawith Hoggarth, Rattray’s, and Samuel Gawith. Most of them I’ve yet to dig into. It can be a gamble. I just bought 7 tins of Wallace Flake, decided to try it and I don’t particularly care for it as is. The flavors are pretty nice but it’s super harsh and rough, it leaves my mouth feeling acrid. The beauty of stocking up though is that you can forget about them for a year or two and revisit them with some age.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a few I haven't tried but only 5-10 tins of each of them.

I figure if I don't like them I will likely be able to sell them in the future and at least get my $ back.

It is always better to regret what you did, than what you didn't do.

Agreed.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just checked tobaccocellar.com and I counted 92 blends I have yet to try.
I'm building up as many as I can because I like a good variety in my rotation and it's only a matter of time before the UK bans all internet/mail order sales and the US stops shipping here. It's already banned the other way round ie the UK to US and then there's things like I'm sure I read one of the big courier companies were not gonna carry tobacco products anymore, although I may just have dreamt that last one.
Basically what I'm saying is it's only gonna get harder to purchase these blends from abroad so I'm stocking up while I can.
Tobacco only ever goes up in price as well and we already pay quite a bit for a 50g tin here in the UK.

Chris.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I don't, but I probably would if I could. I'm also pretty new to this and afraid of missing out on something really good before tobacco gets too expensive and hard to get. I try new-to-me stuff the moment I get it in search of blends I can fall in love with. I have small amounts of many, many blends - and jars all over the damn house. Once I decide I really like a blend (sometimes right away, sometimes after a few months), I'll smoke a couple more ounces before deciding how much of it to cellar. Sounds more methodical than it really is.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
I have several tins I've yet to try. Most have been purchased on recommendations from others that i've seen on this forum. My cellar is not too big though.

Dan

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I don't, but I probably would if I could. I'm also pretty new to this and afraid of missing out on something really good before tobacco gets too expensive and hard to get. I try new-to-me stuff the moment I get it in search of blends I can fall in love with. I have small amounts of many, many blends - and jars all over the damn house. Once I decide I really like a blend (sometimes right away, sometimes after a few months), I'll smoke a couple more ounces before deciding how much of it to cellar. Sounds more methodical than it really is.
That’s kind of where I’m at. Been smoking for 2 years and starting to get concerned I’ll miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.