PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

giacomo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2018
Massachusetts (South Shore)
My friend's dad had one and he used it when we drove back and forth to hockey games. I thought it was cool and bought one, but I was too young to drive, so I put it in my bedroom.
Not cool, just lame.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
In high school, a whole bunch of us had CB radios in our cars/trucks. This was about 2-3 years before cell phones become increasingly affordable, so this was the best way we could communicate outside of school. It was a lot of fun and we all had our own "private channels" that we would switch to with code words for a quick chat before anyone could scan the channels and listen in.

We also ended up playing "hide-n-seek" in our vehicles out in the country. One car would be the "hider" and would be the one that we would all have to find. They would keep their mic button down the whole time with music playing on specific channel, and the rest of us would have to find them by triangulating their signal strength. The "seekers" would use another channel to chat about where we were and where we thought the "hider" might be.

The funny part was that most of us had girlfriends at the time, and they would ride with us as we played this game. The "hiders" would take the opportunity to get in some "frisky" time with their girlfriend while the rest of us tried to find them. And there was one girlfriend who, shall we say, was very "enthusiastic" during their hiding sessions, and would "forget" that their CB mic was active the entire time.

Needless to say, it provided some very entertaining listening and more than once it would cause some of the "seeker" couples to take a timeout from the game to have their own "hiding" session before resuming the seeking part.

Fun times, indeed.

Reactions: scloyd and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was sorely tempted by CB because of all the time and study it took to get a "HAM" radio license, but I never had either one. Later I was a radioman on a minesweeper for seemingly endless patrols off Vietnam. When I was on Midway Island from December 1970 to September 1971 with the Navy, there was a hospital corpsman who had a CB set up that he used to bounce the signal off the stratosphere and talk with the continental U.S. and other faraway places. In that application, it was as good as HAM radio, and it was all voice, no morse code required. The domestic highway CB voice traffic sounded pretty tiresome, but might have been interesting for commercial drivers who didn't get much sociability otherwise.

Reactions: Ebarber and scloyd
Driving from Alabama to Oklahoma and back every summer, I don't ever remember CB's being nearly as cool as Smokey and the Bandit. I remember it being more listening in on really boring phone conversations between my mom and my aunt. And, that was only really when it was exciting. 85% it was just someone asking the world if anyone else was listening... "anyone got their ears on?"

I can't imagine what truckers would use them for today, maybe just looking to meet a friend at the "eat and gas." They aren't looking for speed traps, because all of the trucks have tracking devices now, and most can't even go over the speed limit now anyways.

Reactions: scloyd

Hidiho

Lurker
May 25, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
My Family was into CB's in the 70s and 80's here in Australia, You had to have a "licence" which was just a yearly subsciption with no test's or anything but that was soon phased out and now no license is required. Back in the day Australia started out with the American 23 channels and later brought out 18 ch units (16 U.S. Channels, 2 AU Channels) for use in Australia. Most avid users joined CB Clubs which was more of a social club with regular meetings and weekly broadcasts, the truckies had their own Club "TRA" (Truckers Radio Australia) and emergency channels were monitored by volunteers of C,R.E.S.T. which is still in operation today.

Now days most people (and truckies) use UHF radios, Originally 40 Ch but was increased to 80 Ch a few years back.

In late 70's we had a friend on his "Deadly Treadly" who use to ride around the suburbs with his 23ch AM set powered by a motorcycle battery who got into a bit of mischief by stealing CB's out of cars of the people that he knew and was a big news story when he got caught. Yes, we were one of the victims.

Ahh, the joys when the skip was good and you could talk to the other side of the world on your CB Radio

BTW, I still have 2 old 40ch SSB units which are packed away....

Reactions: scloyd

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I forgot about the summer of 1975,I was fourteen. My friends mother took us to Myrtle Beach SC and she had joined the CB craze and had a radio was installed in her Ford station wagon. We were at a campground at the beach and every night, used the CB to connect with what we hoped were young girls also camping We managed to find two 9th grade girls from Alabama, and met them at the beach the next day. Not much happened, but I remember the thrill of the hunt.(we may have passed ourselves off as high school guys, not 8th graders.....)