PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
In the early 2000's, until the appearance of the Wayz app, I kept a CB in my car, with magnetic mount trunk antenna.I was driving about 70,000 miles annually in those days, in all kinds of weather. Traffic and activity was a far cry from the Channel 19 activity from the 1970's. But, it kept me aware of road/weather issues and entertained me on some long drives home. I also ran a radar detector and Garmin GPS in those days, the combination kept me from getting any speeding tickets. I learned to talk just like a drive, of course over-doing the drawl, but it was fun to get the drivers worked up, then discover I was in the Honda Accord that just passed them. When Wayz came out, it rendered the CB/Garmin and radar detector unnecessary. Sometimes I miss it, particularly when a big truck driver hangs out in the hammer lane. I had a whole spiel worked up for those drivers.Sadly, lane discipline, from even big truck drivers is a thing of the past.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just today in a truck stop I saw a beautiful new Cobra LTD29 Classic CB for sale for $159.

Running $159 through an inflation calculator that CB would have only cost $35 in 1977. I wanted one so bad in 1977 it hurt, but the cheapest new CBs then cost about what the best do today. The difference was then I earned $200 a month part time as a college student.

When the gubbermint passed a new law requiring all new CB radios have 40 channels and a bit less power, I found a Panasonic 23 channel on closeout sale for $35 and still own it. I suppose it would still work, although it’s been over thirty years since I’ve used it.

Truckers still use CB radios.

It might be fun to hook up my old CB and listen in.

Reactions: scloyd

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That's a big 10-4
From your back door
Just put that hammer down

This young man feels
Those eighteen wheels
That keep turnin' round to take me down to Shaky Town

Jan 27, 2020
In the early 2000's, until the appearance of the Wayz app, I kept a CB in my car, with magnetic mount trunk antenna.I was driving about 70,000 miles annually in those days, in all kinds of weather. Traffic and activity was a far cry from the Channel 19 activity from the 1970's. But, it kept me aware of road/weather issues and entertained me on some long drives home. I also ran a radar detector and Garmin GPS in those days, the combination kept me from getting any speeding tickets. I learned to talk just like a drive, of course over-doing the drawl, but it was fun to get the drivers worked up, then discover I was in the Honda Accord that just passed them. When Wayz came out, it rendered the CB/Garmin and radar detector unnecessary. Sometimes I miss it, particularly when a big truck driver hangs out in the hammer lane. I had a whole spiel worked up for those drivers.Sadly, lane discipline, from even big truck drivers is a thing of the past.

That sounds like a lot of fun. So, truckers would mainly use CB to hear about and report on traffic delays etc. and not idle chit chat? That's a nice example of a culture based around "paying it forward".

I miss driving around the country in the early 00s. It was just the right amount of technology for me then...using GPS to get around and stopping into one of the few chains that had wifi like Panera if I needed to look something up on my laptop. Those were the days!