PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Hi, I'm new to this list but been tobacco-ing in various iterations for over 40 years on and off. My quiet search for the Holy Grail comes and goes...Recently I've been enjoying Justice Mixture from Watch City Cigar (in MA) blended by the communicative ErnieQ. This blend contains Cavendish Oriental, Perique and Latakia. With the right Oriental I am over joyed with a sweetness that I can't find in any other (so far) tobacco. Many Virginias smoke 'hot' to me, some burley's (especially Solani Aged Burley Flake) have a mocha-ish 'back' that I wish could be more 'fore', but I like it if I sip at it.

The cav oriental in Justice puts the sweetness on steriods in good way. Ernie says he must devote his entire production of max 5 pounds a wack soley to Justice as that is their biggest seller. I certainly see why.

Question: Are any of you aware of any one else cobbling up a cav oriental, maybe with a good burley or less lat, even though I could smoke this 'til the cows come home, change is good.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've not encountered Cavendish Oriental blends, but that doesn't mean

that they are not out there. Just now, I learned of one... Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This may fill the bill. I only smoke it in a clay, and it is thoroughly yummy.
McClelland Bulk 2050 Oriental Cavendish

An unusual mixture containing no Latakia, but still has a rich, round flavor. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish combine with Black Cavendish to make this a tobacco which should satisfy a great many smokers
At PipesAndCigars.com

1/$4.00, 4/$13.22, 8/$24.00, 16/$43.56, 80/$199.38

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Cortez, I have been looking at that blend for about a week now! I have really wanted to try it but I have to wait until my order is over $100 again for free shipping (wife's rules, I don't argue with her). What are your thoughts on it?

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
I have read reviews (TR, Professor's) on 2050 and will try it if I can find it locally. More specifically I am looking for 'cavendished oriental', not oriental plus virginia or burley or .... that has been treated.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Ryepipe. Ya, I had a hunch you were talking about Cavendish-processed Orientals; that's why I included the product description in the above post so you could make a more informed decision.
For folks at sea on the term Cavendish (excuse the pun), here's a link to Pipedia. I'm thinking that it might be hard to find a tobacco truly similar to Justice Mixture.
@Bubba: I say go for it -- at least a couple of ounces. It's dark and somewhat fruity, with a creamy mouth-feel. Whatever it is that makes it a "Cavendish" doesn't interfere with the tobacco taste of the leaf. The Professor's review is very accurate, complete, and IMO, reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.