PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my pipe education, I early learned that Cavendish is not a type of tobacco but a process, so why don't blenders specify what base tobacco is being used? Why isn't it burley Cavendish or Virginia Cavendish, or whatever? I presume/think/suppose most aromatic Cavendish blends are burley, but I don't know. Why is this labeling so cryptic? Any ideas?

russquote.jpg
This was from a discussion on whether cavendish is the same as stoved... But, it gives some insight into the terms used.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So I guess my Peter Stokkebye Black Cavendish is probably Virginia, assuming it is blended in Denmark? It would make sense to label it that way? Interesting. Russ gives good info.

Reactions: danimalia

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening:

Our proprietary red Virginia cavendish is lightly cased with a delicate maple flavor resulting in our best selling aromatic blend. The smoker will appreciate the taste of Virginias while those around will flock to the warm, inviting fragrance.

Notes: Jeremy Reeves and Chris Tarler mentioned this to be the best selling C&D blend!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
View attachment 18491
This was from a discussion on whether cavendish is the same as stoved... But, it gives some insight into the terms used.
Looks like Russ answered the question. American Cavendish is sweetened and toasted burley.

Cavendish is weird. Some of my favorite blends have it and I sometimes wonder if it adds what Jim inks calls the “brown sugar” note. That’s why now, I just say, brown sugar note. ?

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Cavendish is weird. Some of my favorite blends have it and I sometimes wonder if it adds what Jim inks calls the “brown sugar” note.
What I have gathered from what Russ has said and looking into do it yourself cavendishes on the home growing sites, is that Cavendish just means that it was cooked. But, the manufacturer can add whatever flavors they want in the process. PS LTF has had coconut added in the process, and some use vanillas, some may not add anything. And, sure, some may add brown sugar. But, the casing for the rest of the tobacco in a "blend" could be giving the brown sugar flavor... so it is hard to tell. After it is blended with other tobaccos, where what flavor comes from which tobacco in the blend becomes hard to tell from just tasting.

Reactions: perdurabo and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a mild smoke with some volume and taste, PS Black Cavendish, or something similar in a different brand, is pretty good by itself. Not a daily thing for most of us, but a pleasing change of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.