PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I thought all castellos were a little heavier due to the hefty bowls of that collection

Compared to Artisan pipes and especially Danish in general, Castello’s are like Bricks in your mouth. But their bent shapes can be clenched easily enough. It’s more that they employ thicker Acrylic stems. The 11’s are in the sweet spot and very manageable, thus highly regarded.
I prefer

Oct 7, 2016
@ssjones, I have found that pipe shapes that sometimes are called "chubby" do in fact, like people (me) of whom the same adjective is used, weigh more.
If I have seen any 11's that come in under 50 grams, I can't recall them. Several at 53-5 grams

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, a little bulky for smoking, but a total charmer to see. People love their Castellos. I felt that way about Lucianos when they were in business; they even stamped the year the pipe was made. What an outfit!

Oct 7, 2016
That one is a hair over 60 grams, ssjones thinks anything over 50 g might as well be a boat anchor. Nice pipe, though. 4k Castello "Castello" grades will run you about $355 from an Italian shop. Pays to look everywhere.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I have one that I like quite a bit. That said, I don't think the new iteration is really the same as the original #11 (of which I've only seen one, see below). It has a much larger bowl than my #10s and I wouldn't really call it a nosewarmer, but it is a truly comfortable chunky shape.
1ORf9OKImo-3000x3000.png

The one that I think of when I think of a "true" #11 (kind of like how the #10 has changed a lot in recent years) is the one that Greg Pease owns:
Castello1110nv.jpg

IMO the "new" #10 is also a total shadow of its past, an entirely different shape, and one that does not speak to me at all.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Geez I hope to get a Castello one day, and a Ashton, Becker, Former, Ferndown, Askwith........

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The one that I think of when I think of a "true" #11 (kind of like how the #10 has changed a lot in recent years) is the one that Greg Pease owns:

I tend to agree @fishingandpipes. However, the modern versions have charm in their own right. But that’s probably biased by the fact I only have more modern pieces in my collection. The oldies don’t come around often because guys keep em.
A few shots of shape 11 and 10 together for comparison.
4rAsyNh.jpg

4BtjaH7.jpg

vo4LOi3.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I have a few of the shape 10s as they are my favourite Castello shape. I have one Shape 11, but it is a newer one and I agree that the older Shape 11s are more pleasing, at least to my eye.
The Shape 10 below is a fiammatta that I purchased through SP. It was in the Castello archives and it was liberated from there by Sykes and Shane at SP. Below is a picture of the pipe beside another shape 10 from the Castello archives - namely, the first shape 10 ever made, in black with ivory inlay. Would love to own that one too, but alas.
ECcDhKB.jpg

Epws3gZ.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish
Status
Not open for further replies.