PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
In Italy, most enthusiasts consider only those with the Carlo Scotti brand to be true Castello ones. Le Kino (nickname of Franco Coppo, son-in-law of Carlo Scotti, who took over the reins of the company upon his death), are considered inferior.
That's really interesting as I've heard from many Americans that they prefer the Kino pipes as they have a wider draft hole. So do the Kino pipes not sell well in Italy?

Reactions: PaulRVA

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
It seems to me that the Castello offers its best and newest designs on European websites first. American online sellers of Costello pipes are always a year or so behind. Shipping by DHL is a bit more costly, but the pipes arrive in a few days.

I have purchased pipes from each of these European sites. See for instance:

Haddocks is a big pipe retailer in the Netherlands but for some reason does not carry Castello pipes, but does list most of the other brands.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you have to think like a company that has to do business
Being friends with several independent artisans, thinking like a business was exactly what I was doing. While rustication will lower a pipe's value, a well done blast can often command higher prices than a smooth. Many smokers, myself included would pay a premium for artistically done ring blast pieces.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The difference is who ran the company when the pipe was made, Scotti or his son in law Kino. As for the pipes themselves I haven’t noticed a marked shift. The Kino pipes do have a wider draft, but I’ve had Scotti stamped that had than standard drafts, one fairly early (‘50s?) Sea Rock lovat is wide open. I have more Scottis than Kinos, but a recent Kino Sea Rock lovat is among my best……but all of mine are great.

Reactions: PaulRVA

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
These were some interesting comments to read and ponder.

Yes the earlier ( Scotti ) are Castello pipes did have a smaller air passage, in the stems. Was that by choice or due to tooling available? Only Carlos or Franco can answer that question. If you look back at many of the older brands you will find that air passage in stems were drilled with smaller air passages.

You might also need to understand that in the early days of Castello, the pipes were machine made in once Franco joined the firm they moved to hand made pipes .. around 1969.

Currently and as far back as I have followed Castello they have always looked to innovate and improve. Shapes have had subtle changes to dramatic changes. Internal "engineering" has been adjusted to what the current client / collector / smokers prefer, thus the larger air passages in the stems.

Unlike a number of other pipe firms, Castello does listen to their retailers suggestions. Maybe not all are accepted, but they are willing to listen.

My last visit to Castello ( 2023 ) was extremely interesting. Instead of a team of five carvers there were eight. One of the original five I met on my 2019 visit had retired, which means four additional employees had been added. I was surprised to see that most of the newer fellows were young. Maybe late 20's in age. Franco explained that these younger team members often have some very good ideas. Some of which get acted upon, some not.

Also something to think about ... on the older Scotti era pipes, you may find some with an open draw. Some say the pipes are inconsistent. However, with a pre smoked pipes you just never know if a previous owner had "adjusted" the pipe to suit their needs.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Yes the earlier ( Scotti ) are Castello pipes did have a smaller air passage, in the stems. Was that by choice or due to tooling available?
I knew that the methacrylate used at the time was more fragile and could not withstand larger punctures.
In any case, in my Carlo Scotti I personally increased the diameter of the hole with a drill with a very thin tip. The mouthpiece held up and now the pipe cleaner passes through well.
The pipe being smoked was not affected.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't know, I think there is a lot of snobbery in all these considerations, when you hear things like: "...Castello? Only if Carlo Scotti...." or "...if you don't have Dunhill you're not a real pipe smoker ..."
I've had Castellos and Dunhills. If those were the only pipes available, I'd have quit smoking decades ago.