PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I have a shape 71, but it's definitely not a bent pot, it's more of a hawkbill or even a bent apple:

Oct 7, 2016
I have never seen a shape 71. If there is a number 71 stamped on the pipe, it is most likely inside a castle and denotes the year it was released using 1947 as a base, so a 71 would be 2018. An “official” shape chart is HERE
There are other charts out there, most are actually better.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
So following my last post I searched a lot for the perfect first Castello pipe as someone who doesn't really like neoclassical shapes. And I did find this cute little sea rock pot with an army mount and was saving some money so I could purchase it.

And then my local B&M got hold of an estate Castello that they were willing to part with for an insanely unreasonable price. Criminally cheap. I mean basket pipe level of affordable. And they knew what they had but wanted me to have it, good people. The only problem was... It was one of those neoclassical italian-style pieces I so despised.

So I bought it:

It's... Very different from what I usually go for. I did not like it at all at first. But it's growing on me. Everytime I look at it, the pipe gets prettier and its lines begin to make sense. Is this the effect Castello pipes have on you? Am I a convert?

Haven't got the time to smoke it yet as I sent it for cleaning, but I already miss it in my hands.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
@laniromee Castello has had a similar effect on my. I kept reading about how great the 55 is, but thought it was an ugly beast with its Jay Leno chin. Eventually saw one at a reasonable price that had a bit less of a chin, and went for it. The more I looked at it, the more I held it, the more I liked it. Then I smoked it and fell in love with it. It tends to be the pipe I grab most often these days.

Reactions: laniromee

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
Harris
Well that depends. Do you want to re arrange your collection and only collect the shape 55? Do you want to make all your other pipes feel unwanted as you always reach for the shape 55? Your call.
I smoke my shape 55's more than any other pipe shape in my collection. I smoke Virginia's and Virginia flakes. My shape 55's are smoking machines! Out of 17 Castello's, 6 are shape 55's.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Hi Mike,
Brand new to the site here and about to break in my 55. Any other blends you feel excel in your 55s?
Many thanks for your thoughts.
uzz

Status
Not open for further replies.