PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Is it just me, or has the shape '55' recently been shaped? It seems to be made more squarish, less rounded and less elegant in the bowl/shank area with shorter shanks and stems(+ big noticeable gaps between stem and shank). I do not seem to like this new design of the 55 shape, perhaps it is as George mentions: some new unexperienced pipe makers have started at the factory, replacing the old garde.
To me, very few I see now have much in the way of “chin”. Still a nice shape. Lanzolo has some on their page now, with and without chin, so you can see what I mean.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Starts and ends with 55 and 65 for me. Some stinkers definitely do surface on occasion. A fairly well known shop near Albany had some very poorly drilled pipes on my last visit.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
This is a very inspiring (and potentially very expensive) discussion. I have just been collecting Castellos I found beautiful or interesting, but I can feel my inner completist waking up with all this shape and finish talk 8O

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Like Neal my main focus is Castello's. Due to Neal, I acquired my first shape 44 ( oval bowl ) and now will add the shape into my searches for more. The shape 55 is the dominant shape for my Castello's with currently 6 housed here.
The one very dangerous thing about collecting Castello pipes is ... that once you think you've got a "complete" set they throw you a curve and come up with something, in your shape, that you must have! Last time I spoke with Greg Pease about his shape 55 collection, I think he was at 22 pipes and all different.
When I was in Cantu I saw at least 3 more interesting variants that Greg would surely want to add.
oldgeezer - Castello shapes are always "evolving". It is ( IMHO ) one of joys of collecting the brand.
Neal - be warned ...... a shape 44 is headed my way ...... It just might be a must add to your collection.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
For me the answer was and is branch out. I like Castello’s bent bulldogs but you can’t even really call it a concentration in my collection. I could never stick to one shape although I admire the tenacity and dedication required in putting together anything close to a complete set in one shape. Mine range from the early 1990s to a few years ago.
46d5f5b0-1034-4ca5-86af-6ec9d55e8527-600x450.jpg

4390c7b4-3fc3-4e4c-bdda-f2fceaaebbc5-600x450.jpg

Reactions: Ben.R.C and litup

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
@tfdickson; That is one beautiful collection! I love the briar inlay in some of these. From the 90's?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Thanks @jfred! The top right billiard in the first pic is from 1991, the second from the bottom on the left is undated but most likely 1990's. The bottom left is 2002. In the second pic the one in the lower right is undated but almost definitely 1990's as I bought it unsmoked around 2003.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Does anyone have a size KK Shape 55? I have a KKKK 55, which I love, but is a bit bulky as a driving pipe (that's when I do most of my pipe smoking). The dimensions for a KK seem really small (around 115mm long), and I think I would like something a little bit bigger. But I know dimensions can be deceiving. Thanks!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well, those following this thread or familiar with me know I've been looking for a Castello for a while as I slowly invest in more high end pipes in the shapes I really like. I have been finding myself enjoying squat little shapes lately so I finally decided to sac up and just buy the Castello that I actually really wanted. I had been balking at the price and looking for cheaper estates, sea rocks, etc. but in looking all over the place no Castello spoke to me like this one did. It's an odd shape, sort of a tomato, but I really like the bowl dimensions and thick chamber walls. I kept looking all over and ending up just coming back to stare at this one. So here she is...
castello-26.jpg

castello-26-2.jpg

castello-26-3.jpg

castello-26-4.jpg

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
@ssjones - That is a really nice little pipe. I think I might pull the trigger on one of the 55 KKs that I've been eyeing. Would love to have a 55 that would work as a driving pipe. Thanks for sharing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I really dislike the shape of the 55. I don't know why but it just seems off to my eye. Having said that I keep thinking that it must smoke like a machine as everyone who has one seems to love it. I have been thinking about buying one just because. I generally don't buy pipes I dislike the looks of, but I feel like I am missing something special.
To all the 55 lovers, should I go for it? I will only smoke flakes or a plug in it.

Reactions: ram74
Status
Not open for further replies.