PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think Castello stopped using Vulcanite by 1950. I believe they switched from the Ivory bar to Lucite in the mid to late Sixties. Definitely by the time they switched from SA,SB,SC to K’s

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I think Castello stopped using Vulcanite by 1950. I believe they switched from the Ivory bar to Lucite in the mid to late Sixties. Definitely by the time they switched from SA,SB,SC to K’s
Thank you. So they , for a while, continued the ivory bar in the lucite stems ?
Asking because I own a wonderful OA canadian with a lucide stem and an ( what looks to be ) ivory inlaid bar.

Reactions: macaroni

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thank you. So they , for a while, continued the ivory bar in the lucite stems ?
Asking because I own a wonderful OA canadian with a lucide stem and an ( what looks to be ) ivory inlaid bar.
Hi "orlando..."
Thnx for posting. I have one stamped, "1948" and it has the ivory bar but I didn't realize it had a lucite stem. Cool!
kindly
mike

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Hi "orlando..."
Thnx for posting. I have one stamped, "1948" and it has the ivory bar but I didn't realize it had a lucite stem. Cool!
kindly
mike
Hello Mike,
Are you sure about the stem being acrylic ?
I'd much like to see the pipe , I've never seen a year stamp on a Castello. Sure it is not a modelnr. ?
On Pipedia is a 1947 Old Antiquari with a nr. 3412 :

If you feel like it maybe throw in a picture ?
Yes, Castello's are cool !
Cheers,
Roland

Dec 10, 2013
Yes, I’d have to look but I don’t think I have any Ivory bar pipes with K’s.
It took me five minutes to retrieve my Castello Old Antiquari :

S(cotti) C(arlo) 32 CASTELLO OLD ANTIQUARI made in cantu italy reg.nr. 66171N.
Lucite stem with ivory inlaid bar.
Hard to detect the so-called "Schreder lines" in the ivory, but it sure does not seem like acrylic to me.
So all this makes it possibly a sixties pipe ?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Hello Mike,
Are you sure about the stem being acrylic ?
I'd much like to see the pipe , I've never seen a year stamp on a Castello. Sure it is not a modelnr. ?
On Pipedia is a 1947 Old Antiquari with a nr. 3412 :

If you feel like it maybe throw in a picture ?
Yes, Castello's are cool !
Cheers,
Roland
Good Morning Roland,
And thanks for asking? No, I'm not sure of much LOL!! :))

But I am sure that Marty Pulver knows lots more than do I and when he sold it to me, he wrote that it was a very early 1948 Castello. Yet, I hasten to add that even Mr. Pulver's not infallible and if cornered, and while I don't know him well, I feel confident he would eventually admit it LOL!

When I master my new camera and figure out how to post, I'll gladly put a pix up. It may take a while :))

Here's the imprint from the bottom of the shank, reading left to right, top to bottom:

"CASTELLO MADE IN CANTU
ANTIQUARI
REG. NO. 66171No. MY RESERVE 1948"

It's rather diminutive, with a length of slightly over 120mm, bowl height approx 38mm, bowl diam. approx 30mm and weight 36gm.

Hope your morning/day's great!
kindly
mike

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper
Dec 10, 2013
Good Morning Roland,
And thanks for asking? No, I'm not sure of much LOL!! :))

But I am sure that Marty Pulver knows lots more than do I and when he sold it to me, he wrote that it was a very early 1948 Castello. Yet, I hasten to add that even Mr. Pulver's not infallible and if cornered, and while I don't know him well, I feel confident he would eventually admit it LOL!

When I master my new camera and figure out how to post, I'll gladly put a pix up. It may take a while :))

Here's the imprint from the bottom of the shank, reading left to right, top to bottom:

"CASTELLO MADE IN CANTU
ANTIQUARI

It's rather diminutive, with a length of slightly over 120mm, bowl height approx 38mm, bowl diam. approx 30mm and weight 36gm.

kindly
mike
Neither am I Mike, neither am I :)

Yes, it is a great day with good friends to talk to !
I believe this to be the oldest Castello stamp known to mankind, congrats !
I'll be patient and look forward to see the picture(s) !
Cordially,
Roland

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Neither am I Mike, neither am I :)

Yes, it is a great day with good friends to talk to !
I believe this to be the oldest Castello stamp known to mankind, congrats !
I'll be patient and look forward to see the picture(s) !
Cordially,
Roland
Dear Roland (& Other Pipe Friends),
What fun! Thank you for the link. I was unaware of it and find it fascinating; in particular, the reference to "My Reserve," (which on this pipe is in English). Cool!
Thanks again,
mike

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN

"CASTELLO MADE IN CANTU
ANTIQUARI

kindly
mike
Yes, this is a very old pipe that probably will have a vulcanite stem unless it was replaced which I've seen happen before.

Reactions: OzPiper

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It took me five minutes to retrieve my Castello Old Antiquari :

S(cotti) C(arlo) 32 CASTELLO OLD ANTIQUARI made in cantu italy reg.nr. 66171N.
Lucite stem with ivory inlaid bar.
Hard to detect the so-called "Schreder lines" in the ivory, but it sure does not seem like acrylic to me.
So all this makes it possibly a sixties pipe ?
Yes, probably an Ivory trademark from the sixties. If it does not have the Carlo Scoti in the oval it's probably early sixties but it's very hard to say for sure.

I'm assuming this is a sandblasted OA? The rusticated fumed top Sea Rock style OA's were a Hallco Rohr thing for the US market with the diamond trademark.

The SC is the size designation. The C.S. mark is fairly uncommon and would not be placed in with the shape number. I have some Epoca's that are marked with his name 3 times. C.S., Carlo Scoti in the oval and the Carlo Scoti Signature stamp.

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you , it is indeed a sandblasted Old Antiquari and there is no CS stamp in an oval.
According to the dating link I posted to Mike the SC stamp means Scotti Carlo and is not a size designation .
If you differ I'd much like to know . Shape is the canadian 32.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Generally Speaking
SA32 would be a very small to small Canadian
SB32 would be a small to medium Canadian
SC32 would be a medium to larger Canadian
There is also a SS stamp for larger pipes but I haven’t seen many of them
Castello’s nomenclature is inconsistent and confusing but if your pipe has a C.S. stamped that would be rare and would stand for Carlo Scotti. No matter the nomenclature Carlo Scotti personally graded and stamped your pipe in his workshop in Cantu Italy. Enjoy!