Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I agree, most drums can be made to sound at least ok. Cymbals are a different story completely, although what is "good" remains entirely subjective. But this is best left to a different forum... Glad there is another drummer here.
There is more than one other drummer here. I love djembe drums and have seven of them in various sizes, the best being large diameter drums hand made in Ghana. I have more pipes than drums, but then, you can't smoke a drum.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
I am not sure what kind of frazing to be expecting at Dunhill’s factory. They don’t use a copying jig and frazer. They have been using lathes for over 100-years. In the 1970s they started purchasing flawless stummels from French factories to supplement their own production, not to replace it. I have not seen any documentation showing that this practice contributed after 1990, but this fact does not mean that the practice did not continue. The French stummels had to match their classic shapes and be flawles
Dunhills continues to use lathes to make shape their stummels, one stummels at a time.

According to Bill, of Ashton fame, Hardcastle was Dunhill seconds and their own production with only a dozen or two stummels per month migrating to the Dunhill brand. This practice ended by the mid-1950s. Dunhill purchased the Hardcastle brand because the Dunhill factory produced so many stummels of perfectly smokable quality, but not up to the Dunhill standard, and they wanted to stop throwing them away. Additionally, much of the Hardcastle staff rotated between the both factories depending upon the demand for labor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Dunhill nor a Castello, never have. I feel I get excellent use out of other English and Italian pipes, and in the case of my Ser Jacopo and Ferndown, I may be getting the same or better. I'm also embarrassed by the high quality of smoking I've had with old workhorse factory pipes when things go right. I feel I do well with Nordings, most brands of French pipes, and various U.S. briars that now sell for almost nothing. Castello makes a beautiful pipe, and they make them in all sizes, but the U.S. marketing pushes the big heavy ones that cost half again as much.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I don't own a Dunhill nor a Castello, never have. I feel I get excellent use out of other English and Italian pipes, and in the case of my Ser Jacopo and Ferndown, I may be getting the same or better. I'm also embarrassed by the high quality of smoking I've had with old workhorse factory pipes when things go right. I feel I do well with Nordings, most brands of French pipes, and various U.S. briars that now sell for almost nothing. Castello makes a beautiful pipe, and they make them in all sizes, but the U.S. marketing pushes the big heavy ones that cost half again as much.
I have collected and smoked many quality pipes, (I worked in several pipe shops in the 70s) to include Dunhill and their second Parker, Charatan, Comoy, Astley, Freiburg & Treyer, GBD (both English and French made), Barling, and a number of Benchmades. I have a variety of Danish to including Prebenholm, Soren, Benwade, WO Larsen and Nording. On the Italian front, Castello, Caminetto, and Savinelli. Of all my pipes, Savinelli (including Autographs) are my least sweet smoking. Among my Dunhills, Parkers, Charatans, GBD, Castello, Caminetto - even a $4.00 Amphora X-tra I got in college - I have what I call "magic pipes"; they are unbelievable sweet smoking. I call them magic pipes because, at times, I think there is no accounting for brand. Even among my Dunhills I have a Squat Bulldog 5108 Cumberland that beats all of my other Dunhills, hands down. My only American made pipe other than Benchmades, is a Bertram of DC prince that belonged to my father. It is a beautiful smoking pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Every time I see a Dunhill I like I'll look at the price and think why? I don't like it that much. Where as when I look at Castellos and then look at the price I can find something to justify the price. I might still not want one at that price but my mind doesn't feel like the price is a con. Like how I look at some article of designer clothes and instantly think I see why that's expensive and others where I just think it's all in the darn label.
Edit: I feel like if I showed a non smoker a Castello and told them how much it costs they might think it's crazy but they'd see it was fancier then my basket pipe. The Dunhill on the other hand the non-smoker would have questions. Like is there magic in it? Does it have magical secret engineering? Is the material clearly better in some undisputed way?

Last edited:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have a dozen Dunhills, same for Upshall, Castellos and Charatans. I like the smoke. If a pipe, no matter the brand, doesn't perform, it goes. If I have a choice, it's a Dunhill or Castello. I have tried many other brands. My collection at one time was over 200 pipe. For my taste, give me one of the above. Your taste may vary but there is a reason why they can demand the cost they do and not all of it can be hype these days.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Every time I see a Dunhill I like I'll look at the price and think why? I don't like it that much. Where as when I look at Castellos and then look at the price I can find something to justify the price. I might still not want one at that price but my mind doesn't feel like the price is a con. Like how I look at some article of designer clothes and instantly think I see why that's expensive and others where I just think it's all in the darn label.
Edit: I feel like if I showed a non smoker a Castello and told them how much it costs they might think it's crazy but they'd see it was fancier then my basket pipe. The Dunhill on the other hand the non-smoker would have questions. Like is there magic in it? Does it have magical secret engineering? Is the material clearly better in some undisputed way?

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I know what you mean. When I was in college I looked forward to getting my annual Iwan Ries catalog. At best I could only look and dream. Like you I just couldn't understand why anyone would pay the kind of money for a Dunhill that they want. Charatan and Freehands I understood - eye catching designs. I have at least a dozen Dunhills today and I understand the price. Their quality is exceptional with hand cut bits, and well cured wood beautifully executed. You can get a clunker in any brand, but with certain brands the chances that it will be sweet are greater. Quality makes a difference and increases your chances of getting a "magic pipe". My Castellos are a rather plain Jane apple and egg shaped sea corals from 1970, but they are sweet.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
I agree with troutttimes as I own a fair amount of high grade pipes myself. The way I see it we all take a chance on purchasing pipes looking for that dry easy draw smoke.

The only difference with the Dunhill and high grade type is You have a greater chance of finding that we these carvers.

But the risk element still remains as no two pipes ever smoke the same to many variables here.

Reactions: Ziggywm

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I am a fan of Dunhills from late1980's through 2010ish or so when whenever they switched over to White Spot. Not that I have any thing against them but for classic billiard and apples in the group 6 and ODA sizes, those are the most classically shaped.

As for Castellos, their fit and finish is consistently excellent, arguably better than Dunhill.

But the truth is while being mythical brands, they are rarely, if ever, any better than any other well made pipe. We're living in the age of pipe makers where quality is like never before and there is something for everyone.