PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I know I'm not the only one on the forum who recently purchased their first Castello. I've been smoking mine very gently for the two week's that it's been with me. Today was the first time I smoked it from top to bottom - with Dunhill London Mixture. It was a magical smoke. Perhaps it's the season. Or perhaps it's just that this Castello billiard is a wonderful pipe. As I'm an outdoor smoker, I've found that my cold weather smokes have not been as enjoyable as my warmer weather smokes. And I've had some amazing smokes - but none since the temps dipped lower than 40 degrees. But this morning's smoke was another one of those that reminds me why I took up pipe smoking. Near perfection.
I'd be interested to hear how those of you who recently purchased your first Castellos are finding them.
I'm planning to purchase another pipe or two. I'm considering a Dunhill. And though I know that preferences are just so personal - but I'm wondering - will a Dunhill smoke as well as this Castello? Or maybe I'll just purchase another Castello. Or another Castello and a Dunhill.
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a blessed holiday.
All the best!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I'm thinking a pot is next. I tried smoking Gaslight in this Castello billiard an hour ago and it was something of a disaster. I just couldn't get any flavor. Second time I've tried Gaslight in this pipe and both times with poor results. I'm thinking the chamber is too tall in relation to breadth for a dense Kake (more of a plug) like Gaslight - which is probably my favorite blend. I'm thinking a Castello pot might be the better choice for Gaslight.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I think a pot shape would be a good choice to try. Large bowls for english blends and small bowls for flakes have always worked best for me with a few exceptions.
Also not my first, but I did get a couple Castellos right before Xmas and they are both great. A Castello "G" for english blends and a "KK" for flakes for the reason mentioned earlier.
BTW that's a nice Castello you picked up. I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope whatever you get next turns out well. Keep us updated.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Exactly what I'm thinking. My only Castello is a 4K with a large bowl. The next Castello will be a KK.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
What shape is that, 10 or 33?
Also whats the height and length of that pipe? Just curious.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
What shape is that, 10 or 33?
Also whats the height and length of that pipe? Just curious.
I'm not sure which shape it is - can't find the info on the box.
I'll tell you what I do know:

Old Antiquari KKKK

Length 5.0"

Bowl Height: 1.9 inches

Chamber height: 1.4 inches

Chamber diameter: .81 inches
I decided that I'd try another plug today. Filled the bowl half way with Jackknife plug - very light tamp. Smoked like a champ. So I'm thinking if I want to smoke a fairly wet, dense plug or kake, don't fill the bowl completely and go with a light tamp. It was a sad moment when the smoke ended - I was truly enjoying it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Thank you for the nice, thoughtful post. I will be smoking my castello tomorrow with some SPC Plum Pudding. I hope it's as satisfying.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
My first Castello is my my best smoker by far. Bar none. Therefore, my second is on its way. Then I can determine if Castellos are the magic pipes I think they are.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Very glad you're liking it. I'm not sure what I'd call the shape, it doesn't seem to fit their standard charts. I guess call it a #10 variant maybe?
In any case, to comment on Dunhill - I've had a number pass through my hands and have always traded them off, usually in order to acquire another Castello. They're great classic shapes but I prefer how Castellos smoke.

hegeliano82

Lurker
May 28, 2015
I own a dunhill county (4, dublin) and two castello. I think castello are much better in terms of smoking.
with a castello you can taste something hidden while smoking a dunhill.
the good point about the dunhill is the weight and mouthpiece: they are so comfortable to keep in your mouth that you forget them. you can have your 25 grams pipe and walk or doing everything...not the same with a castello
the bad point about the castello is the weight and the mouthpiece...not so comfortable. they are better to be smoked on a sofa, not while walking.
so i would say they are both eccellent but for different reason. if you don't mind a heavy pipe, get a castello. but sometimes i prefer light pipes. i'm not saying a dunhill doesn't smoke good, I'm saying a castello is better, for me.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.