PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Today I had a bowl of Cask 7 by Comoy (fantastic) then I smoked a bowl of kinnick kinnick, a tobacco-free mixture of herbs traditionally smoked by Native Americans. There are many mixtures of kinnick kinnick, just like there are of pipe tobacco. The mixture I smoked today contained bearberry, deers tongue, loveage, mint, mullein, red sumac and yerba santa. I bought it on Ebay. Here's a link for if for anybody who's interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINNICK-KINNICK-Smoking-Mix-Herb-Blend-1-Ounce-Bag-Sage-and-Smudging-Organic-/271251071160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f27d2e0b8

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
William: It had a surprisingly sweet flavor. It tasted like a mixture of cherries and carrots. The herbs in the package smell like herbal tea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first reaction to hearing about kinnick kinnick is that it could be trouble. Real kinnick kinnick blended by

Native Americans for tribal use, I think that would be fine. But herbs put together as a commercial venture,

that could be a problem if the blenders don't know exactly what they're doing. With tobacco blends, we end

up smoking various casings, flavorings, and other non-tobacco products, as well as a wide array of types and

parts of the tobacco plant. But there is an accountability among tobacco blenders as well as a long tradition.

I don't think kinnick kinnick is a bad thing. The real traditional item prepared by people who are following

established methods of curing and mixing would know how it's done. Someone trying to make a little money,

maybe not. I wonder if, in Indian nations, anyone can make kinnick kinnick, or if it is blended by medicine

men or other elders who do it to exact standards.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Kinnick kinnick? I do not know then I do not smoke.

There is hundreds blend in a pipe tobacco I did not taste yet.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Kinnick kinnick is usually made of a blend of particular traditional plants either grown by a medicine man himself or harvested elsewhere by the medicine man - or at least someone who has deeply studied the plants particular to the blend. There are commonly utilized plants and ones that aren't so commonly used, all depending on who creates the blend. As far as I know, and maybe each tribe is different with this, but it isn't forbidden to create your own blend.
I don't know if I would smoke kinnick kinnick from eBay. *If* they are being truthful about what is in the blend, I'd still research each plant that is in the blend. You never know if somebody is just tossing random plants together alongside maybe a couple of recognized traditional plants and hoping to make some money.
That's part of why I like kinnick kinnick - it is given as a gift - a symbol of deep respect and friendship - or grown/harvested by oneself. In either case, money doesn't really come into play, and the constituent plants in the blend have meanings. Smoking someone else's kinnick kinnick (like a random eBayer) to me is like smoking an extension of that person.
A better solution would be researching the plants traditionally used, and maybe other plants that may be appealing to you, and ordering them from a trustworthy source to create your own blend. The blend is traditionally kept in a red cloth, or a bag of red dyed leather. I smoke mine in ceremonies, during important talks, or just when I want to commune with nature or pray. My personal kinnick kinnick blend contains many plants that I have harvested by hand from my travels over the USA or have grown myself in my garden. I also use various tobacco blends as well, mixed in.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Ravenwolf: It sounds like you know what you're talking about. Would you be willing to trade or sell me one of your kinnick kinnick blends? By the way, what tribe are you from?

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
American Spirit used to make a commercial kinnick kinnick called Pow Wow Blend, but I believe it's been discontinued for several years now. It had tobacco, sage, red willow bark, bearberry, and spearmint in it. It was pretty good. Used to enjoy it occasionally for a change of pace. My dad loved the smell of it when I smoked it. He said it smelled "like a Utah wildfire."

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I just contacted "Wingz of Power", the business on Ebay that sold me the kinnick kinnick. They said their mixture is blended by a Navajo medicine man on a reservation in New Mexico. If that's true then kinnick kinnick I bought can't possibly be more authentic or safe to smoke. By the way, I smoked the kinnick kinnick yesterday and I feel fine.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
That's good to hear, jazzlover. I cringe at the thought of somebody getting sick from smoking a blend containing a plant not meant for smoking.
If you ever meet a Navajo, they hate the word Navajo. Dine (dee-nay) is what they prefer their tribe to be called.
I like American Spirit - I'll occasionally use their tobaccos. I never got my hands on any Pow Wow Blend - sounds interesting!
I'm not a card carrying member of any particular Tribe, just a white guy that apprenticed to a local Elder and medicine man/shaman - initially for one year, but we've become good friends and do a lot together still. I've received several ceremonies that initiate a person in Native American medicine man/shaman traditions, but my heritage isn't Native American. The background I grew up with contains a lot a similarities from Scandinavian/Siberian ways. There's a lot of Natives around the great lakes area, and even a big Pow Wow in St. Charles where the Chicago Show is at. I've done a bit with the Senecca out East and the Ojibwe. I've helped run a Medicine Lodge/Sweat Lodge at a Lodge built by a Lakota Sundancer. I've also studied with some south American medicine men and been initiated through some of their teachings. Things like that interest me, anyhow. I try not to talk much about what I've done, only because I see a lot of folks get all egotistical over such things.
I don't think I have any kinnick kinnick available for sale/trade at this very moment, but I would be happy to create some in the future if anyone was interested. I only have a couple ounces that I keep with my catlinite pipe for personal use. Also, I haven't been here for 4 months yet, and I don't want to break any rules with the buy/sell/trade thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.