Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Over the last few years I've grown a few pounds of Burley.

Drying/curing sure is a steep learning curve.
Lost around 20% of last years harvest that dried green.

Not wanting to lose any more due to a dumb-dumb mistake I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

I've bought a 13yo spiced Bundaberg rum for casing/topping that I've dropped a few pods of vanilla and a few sticks of cinnamon to soak.

Recently I read that Tonka beans are often used for vanilla flavouring.
Does that mean that vanilla pods and vanilla essence are not suitable for flavouring tobacco?

When using rum/bourbon/whiskey, does one evaporate the alcohol before applying to the tobacco?

Are liqueur's such as Sambucca, Cointreau, Honey Wild Turkey for e.g., suitable to use as a topping?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve heard the best approach is to put your tobacco into a big flat-bottomed Tupperware-type container, pour your booze into a shot glass, nestle the glass of booze into the middle of the container of tobacco, and put the lid on and let it sit for a few days or longer.
Never tried it myself though, so ?‍♂️

Reactions: chopper

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Well, yes; in tobacco and ice cream. However, I guess that all depends how you personally experience taste. From my understanding, Coumarin is the active ingredient in both Tonka beans, and the herb: Deer Tongue.

You might want to try some C&D: Crooner, first, to see if you in-fact like the taste of Deer Tongue; and, before you experiment with the tobacco you grew with you own hand - an act I applaud you for! - Sherm Natman

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well, yes; in tobacco and ice cream. However, I guess that all depends how you personally experience taste. From my understanding, Coumarin is the active ingredient in both Tonka beans, and the herb: Deer Tongue.

You might want to try some C&D: Crooner, first, to see if you in-fact like the taste of Deer Tongue; and, before you experiment with the tobacco you grew with you own hand - an act I applaud you for! - Sherm Natman
To me, deertongue and tonquin don’t taste very similar, in spite of their both containing coumarin.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

Thanks Sherm.

Tobacco is outrageously expensive here in Nanny State Australia.
It's now over $120 for 50g.

I've got a reasonable stash of baccy and was really fortunate that six pounds has made it to my door over the last several months, but it wont last forever.
Hence the home growing.

Atm I'm learning what I can through growing several plants each year.
Once I've got the hang of it I'll at least triple my efforts for when my stash is low.
It's a lot of work involved for sure but will be totally worth it in the long run.

One must be prepared and plan ahead. No way on earth am I paying over $120 for a tin/pouch of baccy.
The bureaucrats can get stuffed.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Also, what does one use to impart an anise flavour?

I'm wondering if Sambucca or ouzo would work?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I hope you will pardon my ignorance, but being a Yank, would you tell me: What possible excuse can your Australian jailers give the people to justify such extortion? - Sherm Natman
Well, to get into that I'd have to break forum rules . . . suffice to say it's those appalling lot who favour political correctness and shout 'check your privilege!' were originally responsible but now the lot support the heavy taxes.

Tobacco taxes are a huge regular windfall for the coffers so they've banned vaping because it competes with cigarettes. It's got nothing to do with health. If it was, they would not have changed the lower taxes on pipe tobacco to match cigarettes when all this shit started.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'd bet they use dog crap.. I mean It would have to be pretty close in flavor. :ROFLMAO:
Apparently anisette is often used in blends but it's not always identifiable.

Have you tried Count Pulaski for example?
It's said to have an anise and rum topping but my unrefined palate would not know it was anisette were I not told. *shrugs shoulders*

It would appear to me that anisette is a flavouring that's used sparingly.
If I ever find a blend that tastes of dog crap, err I mean anisette, I'll let you know. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: shermnatman
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Apparently anisette is often used in blends but it's not always identifiable.

Have you tried Count Pulaski for example?
It's said to have an anise and rum topping but my unrefined palate would not know it was anisette were I not told. *shrugs shoulders*

It would appear to me that anisette is a flavouring that's used sparingly.
If I ever find a blend that tastes of dog crap, err I mean anisette, I'll let you know. puffy
I rehydrated some count Pulaski with Pernod. It came out good

Reactions: chopper

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Does that mean that vanilla pods and vanilla essence are not suitable for flavouring tobacco?

When using rum/bourbon/whiskey, does one evaporate the alcohol before applying to the tobacco?

Are liqueur's such as Sambucca, Cointreau, Honey Wild Turkey for e.g., suitable to use as a topping?
Tonka and vanilla taste different side by side, but I suppose if you were given tobacco with tonquin and were told it was vanilla, you might believe them if you weren't suspicious.

There's nothing wrong with using vanilla, just be sure to use an alcohol based rather than pg based vanilla.

Add the booze or vanilla directly to the tobacco and let the tobacco dry out then rehydrate it with water at a rate of about 12% by weight. You don't have to dry it out completely and then rehydrate it, but you'll find that the ethanol may give you a hotter/steamier smoke which interferes with the taste and enjoyment. I've used Raki to impart an anise flavour. Star anise or star anise extract should also work.

You're going to want to add vanilla extract between 1:4 to 1:1 weight with tobacco; and booze at 1:2 to 2:1 weight with tobacco in order to get the flavour you're looking for.
A trick which helps homegrown flavourings to taste a bit more commercial is to add glycerin at a rate of 1-2% by weight. It's a must to dissolve it in the booze first. So let's say you had 100g tobacco, you would add a little less than a tsp of glycerin to 100ml of booze. The glycerin adds sweetness and makes it more soft tasting and allows you to avoid mold by reducing the total water content necessary to keep the blend soft to the touch.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Great read
Thanks for posting this link

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I've used Tonka beans before, just grind them up and soak them in your choice of booze for a week or so. Spray it right on the tobacco. I would suggest using a high ratio if Tonka to alcohol. If it's too weak and you want a good Tonka flavour, you'll end up having to spray lots of booze to get it to where you want it. It's easier to just add a small amount of the highly concentrated Tonka to some water, booze or just use it straight if you want it to be intense. Tonka beans are quite nice soaked in bourbon and work well with many blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Deer tongue is a blood thinner. People who take prescription blood thinners should probably avoid it. Those who have any health problems might want to check with their doctor. It might be well to use it sparingly, since dose is significant. Just a note of caution.