PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Lately it has. But, acetic acid also naturally forms in tobaccos for the experienced producers. McClelland never added it, according to Mike McNiel and Greg Pease. And, like wines, vinegar carries with it an essence of the fruit it was made from, which can react with the fragrances of the tobacco, and can produce an ammonia. We had a whole thread on this a few weeks ago.
I’ve played with vinegars, apple cider vinegar can turn to a vile fragrance on some tobaccos.

I would recommended using a mix of malic acid and citric acid in a very dilute spray. I think that would give you a better estimate of what you’d be looking for in a vinegar. YMMV
Thanks for the heads-up.

I've been growing some tobacco and the drying, curing and casing sure is a steep learning curve.
I was considering adding some vinegar but your way sounds better.

Since I grow in large pots my harvest is minimal. Can't imagine ruining a batch through not knowing any better. :eek:

Having said that, I have seen vinegar work.
A local tobacconist bought a heap of black market tobacco and brought it back to case with water.
It had a nasty smell so I suggested that he ask the seller how to do it properly.

Next time I saw him he proudly showed me a bag and it smelled like really good tobacco.
I was rather surprised to hear that the recipe to bring it back to case included coffee and vinegar.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

osd

Lurker
Oct 8, 2021
I think Cosmic is particularly sensitive to the taste. He won’t smoke Sutliff 515 RC1. Says it tastes like a vinegar aromatic ?
I do smell a vinegar/acetic acid smell in the Sutliff, but I don’t taste it in the smoke. ?‍♂️

The ACV mentioned in the recipe is being used as a catalyst in the invert sugar reaction (simmer for 10 minutes). It helps convert the sugar(sucrose) to glucose and fructose which will combine better with the tobacco. Other effective catalysts would be citric acid, cream of tartar, fruit juice(lemon, prune, etc).