Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
You can just make a 1:1 sugar - water solution and lightly spray it on the tobacco. If you want to make it sweeter, you could invert the sugar by cooking the solution for a little bit with some lemon or vinegar added to it.
What is it that you want to case?

Reactions: Annaresti Red

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
For Burley I like a bit of apple vinegar with the brown sugar. It adds something to the tobacco flavor that goes pretty well. Also, I like my burley not too sweet (sort of C&D style), so I don't case it too much. If you prefer ABF or something like that, they have a lot of casing.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Molasses is great with burley. Make sure to get the “fancy” grade and not blackstrap molasses. Maple syrup is nice too.
Like another member said just mix with water(or any liquid like rum or bourbon). Too much sugar like this can have a nasty burned taste, I think this is lessened with the invert sugar process. I think you can use tartaric acid as well to make the invert sugar. I’ve only made it once and it was a while ago. I usually use molasses or maple syrup these days. some rum or bourbon can also add a sweetness too and i often skip the sugar and add these instead.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
I’ve found that making unsweetened cavendish with burley brings out a lot of the natural sweetness, more so if you can press it afterwards.
Yes! Even if it's not fully cavendish, but just stoved for 4 hours, they burley is way sweeter and smoother.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
How do you make this?
There’s a variety of ways to do this. I use a slow cooker. I seal the burley in a jar with half its weight in water and then cook on low from 5-12 hours. Once cool I press into a cake.

I then will either vacuum seal for storage or dry it down to the original weight of the burley.

if you want cavendish, use equal quantities water and leaf and cook on high.

Reactions: yanoJL and romaso

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
How do you make this?
I just use a tin loaf baking pan and spray the tobacco with water to moisten. Cover tight with tin foil and throw in the oven at 200f. Check on it after 15-30 min and make sure it’s moist enough. You can spray your syrup mix instead of just only water. I prefer this method as there is no risk of glass breaking and ruining your batch. You can also loosen the foil or remove it at then end to dry it out a bit.

I do this stoving to the whole leaf burleys I get and the difference is night and day. Many commercial burleys use some kind of toasting, steaming or heat treatment.

If you are absolutely dead set on messing up a good burley, then use very little sugars. Don't overdo it at all. Ever smell burning sugar? It's awful.

I just use a tin loaf baking pan and spray the tobacco with water to moisten. Cover tight with tin foil and throw in the oven at 200f. Check on it after 15-30 min and make sure it’s moist enough. You can spray your syrup mix instead of just only water. I prefer this method as there is no risk of glass breaking and ruining your batch. You can also loosen the foil or remove it at then end to dry it out a bit.

I do this stoving to the whole leaf burleys I get and the difference is night and day. Many commercial burleys use some kind of toasting, steaming or heat treatment.
Good idea. But maybe try putting it into a mason jar and using a crock pot.

But, again, I am all in favor of just adding some Virginia for sweetness. Use tobacco to flavor your tobacco. If you get into growing there is a whole world of flavors in tobaccos that you can't just go buy. Japan8 adds a nice licorice flavor. Cherry Red actually has a slight cherry flavor. Canadian has a sweet lemony flavor. If you grow, the possibilities are endless.
Plus, just spraying some stuff on your tobacco... why even bother. The commercial stuff is all sprayed with fakeness. Just buy their fake stuff. If you are going to blend, use the natural flavors. Do something extraordinary. Instead of emulating second rate tobaccos, strive to make ART.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
Great info Cosmic!

I've been experimenting with casings and cookings because my availability of whole leaf tobacco is very limited. I only have Burley and Virginia of one kind. And I like their flavor, but they are a bit harsh for me. So that's why I try to improve them a little. But otherwise I really favor the approach of using tobaccos and keeping them natural.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Great info Cosmic!

I've been experimenting with casings and cookings because my availability of whole leaf tobacco is very limited. I only have Burley and Virginia of one kind. And I like their flavor, but they are a bit harsh for me. So that's why I try to improve them a little. But otherwise I really favor the approach of using tobaccos and keeping them natural.
Age is your friend. We have the luxury of buying tins of tobaccos that have already been aged a bit before they pack and seal them. Fresh tobacco is always a tad harsh. Just jar them up and let them set for a year. They’ll act right.

Reactions: Ocam
It’s especially hard when you grow it, because I’m all excited to start smoking my own, but waiting does make for a better product.

my first year to grow, I was so disappointed that my Virginias ripped my throat out that I packed them in a cooler and tossed them into the barn. About five years later I stumbled upon them having forgotten all about them. I tried them, and I was wowed by how smooth and sweet they had become. Probably one year would have been enough, but they definitely smoked better after five.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
It’s especially hard when you grow it, because I’m all excited to start smoking my own, but waiting does make for a better product.

my first year to grow, I was so disappointed that my Virginias ripped my throat out that I packed them in a cooler and tossed them into the barn. About five years later I stumbled upon them having forgotten all about them. I tried them, and I was wowed by how smooth and sweet they had become. Probably one year would have been enough, but they definitely smoked better after five.
That's exactly my problem: a bit hard on the throat and make me cough. Great to now that it is a matter of age. Although I'm quite impatient as well haha

Reactions: cosmicfolklore