PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I have a branch of cedar I would like to carve some, and make a larger diameter tamper for a specific pipe. Any suggestions?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cedar may not be the best choice for a tamper.

There is a reason that cedar is used for keeping moths and other critters out of clothes.

(Personally) I wouldn't use it because of its aromatic resins.
That's just my opinion.

:puffy:

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
A metal tip should do it. I've got a few ivory nuts lying around that I've been thinking of carving into a tamper or two. Mainly just to have a tamper with an angled base to help keep the burning tobacco in the center of the bowl.

Ivory nut wikipedia

Jan 8, 2013
Is said tamper for a certain Nording Freehand? Somehow I think it is. Good luck with the tamper and be sure to post pictures. :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I love the appearance of cedar. If you add a metal tip and seal the rest of the tamper with the finish of your choice, there would not be any problems.
Winton

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Anthony,
How did you know :wink:

We will see what I can do with the amateur carving skills...at least when you start cutting the wood gives a nice aroma. The tip is going to be the challenge...

Jan 8, 2013
well, you mentioned larger diameter, and I remembered trying to put a cork in my Nording... and it just fell through lol. A larger size tamper would make a pretty awesome addition to the Nording. Great idea Boz.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I've got the blank carved out and the basic shape, I will just have to find a cap for it...maybe some sheet metal since I don't have access to all my normal tools while at school and I don't have a .5 inch casing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You could use a brass or steel bolt and grind or file the head of the bolt round. Drill a hole in the end of tamper and epoxy the bolt in the hole.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Here it is finished...not exactly what I wanted... but all I used was a leatherman and a small dremel and it has a bit more foot than a Czech tool. But for the future the more practice I have the nicer they will start to look. It also fits in my other pipes...but pretty much fills them completely.
img_20130315_112604-600x450.jpg

img_20130315_112505-600x450.jpg

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I like the bolt on the bottom! Thats a very excellent and interesting idea. I know for me it always helps to keep my strop close by when carving anything. Especially when there is any fine detail involved. I cant wait to see your next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.