PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'ma be honest with you. Carter hall was my only and favorite blend for close to a decade since I started smoking. I thought there was nothing that came close to it. It was my everything.

And then on a whim I tried a couple blends from Cornell and Diehl. Changed my life forever. As I'm sure many other people as well.

Now I understand why people don't like Carter Hall. Especially since they moved production to the Dominican Republic. Now I taste the chemical additives, and it's way too wet for my liking. Bland wet cardboard taste at times.

😫🫢

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I'ma be honest with you. Carter hall was my only and favorite blend for close to a decade since I started smoking. I thought there was nothing that came close to it. It was my everything.

And then on a whim I tried a couple blends from Cornell and Diehl. Changed my life forever. As I'm sure many other people as well.

Now I understand why people don't like Carter Hall. Especially since they moved production to the Dominican Republic. Now I taste the chemical additives, and it's way too wet for my liking. Bland wet cardboard taste at times.

😫🫢
It’s funny because I bought up all of the Carter Hall pouches I could find locally as well as two tubs. I too revered it once. It was one of the first tobaccos I really understood. But I began to taste something artificial in Carter Hall, not bad, just artificial.

When I smoke Pegasus or OJK or Burley Flake #1 or #2 and return to Granger, even Granger tastes a bit artificial but quickly passes. If I only smoke Granger, it’s the greatest thing there is! I always come home. But I enjoy visiting other blends.

@didimauw — Can I ask you which C&D blends have moved you away from Carter Hall? I smoked a bowl of CH this week and let myself enjoy it. It’s still a delicious tobacco.

Try CD Winchester if you haven’t. That one blew me away. Red VA and Unsweetened Black Cav. The flavor is explosive and it’s only leaf. No topping at all. Doesn’t need any!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It’s funny because I bought up all of the Carter Hall pouches I could find locally as well as two tubs. I too revered it once. It was one of the first tobaccos I really understood. But I began to taste something artificial in Carter Hall, not bad, just artificial.

When I smoke Pegasus or OJK or Burley Flake #1 or #2 and return to Granger, even Granger tastes a bit artificial but quickly passes. If I only smoke Granger, it’s the greatest thing there is! I always come home. But I enjoy visiting other blends.

@didimauw — Can I ask you which C&D blends have moved you away from Carter Hall? I smoked a bowl of CH this week and let myself enjoy it. It’s still a delicious tobacco.

Try CD Winchester if you haven’t. That one blew me away. Red VA and Unsweetened Black Cav. The flavor is explosive and it’s only leaf. No topping at all. Doesn’t need any!
Briar Fox was my first C&D favorite. But then I discovered OJK Blue, and that's my absolute top favorite now. Pegasus is good but leaves a wierd aftertaste to me.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Briar Fox was my first C&D favorite. But then I discovered OJK Blue, and that's my absolute top favorite now. Pegasus is good but leaves a wierd aftertaste to me.
Thanks for the reply. I enjoy OJK Blue,I find it sweeter and smoother than Pegasus. Not to say Pegasus is harsh, but it does have some rougher edges compared to OJK Blue. I prefer the overall feeling of Pegasus, it’s room note is old tyme pipey and I get a sour, walnut sweetness that comes and goes. Definitely a favorite. Unique blend.

I like bouncing between Pegasus and my OTC. The contrast from mild to more substantive and back to mild makes me reach for both.

I do have a cube of Briar Fox. I’ll enjoy that in the morning. Thanks!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thanks for the reply. I enjoy OJK Blue,I find it sweeter and smoother than Pegasus. Not to say Pegasus is harsh, but it does have some rougher edges compared to OJK Blue. I prefer the overall feeling of Pegasus, it’s room note is old tyme pipey and I get a sour, walnut sweetness that comes and goes. Definitely a favorite. Unique blend.

I like bouncing between Pegasus and my OTC. The contrast from mild to more substantive and back to mild makes me reach for both.

I do have a cube of Briar Fox. I’ll enjoy that in the morning. Thanks!
Absolutely! Just make sure the Briar fox is dry enough! Those cakes can be wet, but being C&D quality, don't take long to dry!

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Seen some Carter Hall Tobacco today What’s your thoughts? Should I get some??
When every large grocery store sold pipe tobacco, Carter Hall was one of the canonical over the counter American blends, made by RJ Reynolds.

RJ Reynolds sold pocket tins of Prince Albert, and also gave away little packets of cigarette papers, same as Liggett and Meyers did Velvet, but Carter Hall, Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, Field and Steam, and Kentucky Club were pipe tobaccos.

Carter Hall has a fruity flavor I can best compare with Juicy Fruit gum. It’s fairly rich in nicotine, and it keeps forever.

I keep a pouch of Carter Hall in my Yamaha Rhino for the occasions I might actually do a little physical labor on my farm and need a refreshment.

Carter Hall probably was the last pipe tobacco advertised on rural country music only radio stations, until only about twenty or so years ago.

The line was, Carter Hall- Tastes as good as pipe tobacco smells-

It does.

Buy some.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
It's been a couple years since I bought any Carter Hall but I like it a lot. I do think the first half of the bowl is way better than the second, but that's true with almost anything I smoke. When did the production shift to the Dominican Republic?

I've been smoking Captain Black Gold for a long time and like it a lot. Recently I got my first pouch of Royal and like it just as well. I'm a pretty low-maintenance smoker though.

Reactions: yanoJL

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I researched a a bit and Carter Hall brand tobacco was developed and marketed by RJ Reynolds in 1956.

In 1956 Prince Albert was the premier smoking tobacco sold by Reynolds, and a lot of it was for half rolled cigarretes.

When a giant tobacco company like Reynolds launched a new pipe tobacco brand in modern times, it was tested completely and manufactured with modern methods to gain market share.

I’d wager every ingredient and process used by Altria (Phillip Morris) in the Dominican Republic is exactly the same as 1956.

Carter Hall is a modern American consumer product, which is high praise.

Try improving a Milky Way candy bar.:)

Reactions: Grangerous

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everyone's different. But most will agree Carter Hall is a fairly good, and popular blend. Capt. Black Royal is also good. Those are couple of codger blends I enjoy in my cob when mood hits.

Reactions: Briar Lee