PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'm making an order from Smoking Pipes large enough to get free shipping and was hoping to get a few pouches of Carter Hall. Every once in a while I get an urge to smoke some, but SP seems to be out of it. Does anyone know of a GOOD replacement for Carter Hall? It doesn't have to be an OTC, but it does have to be in stock at SP, and it needs to be like CH--i.e., a tobacco that's technically an aromatic, but not really like an aromatic because frankly, I don't like traditional aromatics, and have the same sort of taste profile...people who smoke it know what I mean so please only respond if you actually know what CH is like. I'm trying to get an order in by 4 pm today...(Dec 4). Thanks for the help in advance if anyone can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure if SP stocks it, but Sutliff's (and PC's) Chatham Manor is akin if not a match, and many prefer it. I keep some on hand. It is available in a baggie at PC, as well as a tub, but I think it is also offered in bulk, since that's how I got mine. Matches are always tricky in terms of how much they match, but Chatham Manor is a pleasing mild blend that you might like even if it doesn't strike you as Carter Hall's identical twin.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm not sure if SP stocks it, but Sutliff's (and PC's) Chatham Manor is akin if not a match, and many prefer it. I keep some on hand. It is available in a baggie at PC, as well as a tub, but I think it is also offered in bulk, since that's how I got mine. Matches are always tricky in terms of how much they match, but Chatham Manor is a pleasing mild blend that you might like even if it doesn't strike you as Carter Hall's identical twin.
Mso is giving good guidance! I much prefer Chatham Manor and I think you’d like it too!

Reactions: stokesdale

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Thanks MSO and lightmy! Just looked it up and everyone says exactly what you do...SP only has it in bulk, so I'll make the assumption its the same as the tub. Thanks again for letting me complete my order! Moderator, you can cut this thread off now if you like, although, if someone like me has been wondering the same thing, it might prove useful to leave it up for a while.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Chatham Manor. Not exactly a match, but certainly in the same vein. And a good blend if you like easygoing blends like that.
It's not often that I do; my go-to's are CRF, Interlude, BF #2, Crumble Kake Red, and JK Plug if that's any indication of my preferences, but every once in a while I would break out a pouch or two of Carter Hall because that sort of mellow sweetness on a burley was a nice alternative to the Kake Red in a virginia if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It's not often that I do; my go-to's are CRF, Interlude, BF #2, Crumble Kake Red, and JK Plug if that's any indication of my preferences, but every once in a while I would break out a pouch or two of Carter Hall because that sort of mellow sweetness on a burley was a nice alternative to the Kake Red in a virginia if that makes any sense.
Yeah, perfect sense. I’m the same way. Chatham Manor is one of those “change of pace” blends for me.

Reactions: stokesdale
Status
Not open for further replies.