PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
"Starting today we are going to launch an information campaign for Mexicans who live and work in the United States, and for all Hispanics, to inform them of what we are doing in Mexico, and how this initiative by the Republicans, in addition to being irresponsible, is an offense against the people of Mexico, a lack of respect for our independence, our sovereignty,”
I don't see how that supports your claim that the Mexican president was encouraging illegal voting. Is that the part you intended to quote? There's no reference to voting at all, either direct or indirect.

Would you say that this "threat" of an information campaign is more egregious than the history of U.S. intervention in Latin America?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't see how that supports your claim that the Mexican president was encouraging illegal voting. Is that the part you intended to quote? There's no reference to voting at all, either direct or indirect.

Would you say that this "threat" of an information campaign is more egregious than the history of U.S. intervention in Latin America?
Bingo. The latest demonstrations in Mexico certainly have all the looks of a "colour revolution"—the regime-change methodology favoured by the US for the last ~20 years.
Yes, but they do the same thing here too...not just in other countries.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast

I left off the following statement:

"And if they do not change their attitude and think that they are going to use Mexico for their propaganda, electoral, and political purposes, we are going to call for them not to vote for that party, because it is interventionist, inhumane, hypocritical, and corrupt.”

I don't disagree with you regarding US intervention in Latin America.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I left off the following statement:

"And if they do not change their attitude...we are going to call for them not to vote for that party...
The president of Mexico knows that foreign nationals vote in our elections, and he admitted it, publicly. He directly threatened to use voters' allegiance to Mexico to undermine our elections.

First off, even this addendum to your original quote calls only for people to not vote Republican. Can you think of a single incident of voter fraud ever, in any country, which was somehow perpetrated by someone not voting? Rather than the Mexican president admitting to an organized campaign of voter fraud in the U.S. (and triggering a diplomatic catastrophe) doesn't it seem more likely he was calling on U.S. citizens with Mexican heritage, eligible voters, to consider U.S. foreign policy when voting? It seems like we should all be making such considerations. Do you resent Jewish U.S. citizens for considering a party's position on Israel when voting?

I will admit that voter suppression is itself a problem, but if I point out which party tends to employ it to interfere with elections, I might be accused of encouraging people to not vote Republican.

Reactions: stearmandriver

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Wait - I saw the Mexican president quoted several times.

I’d go so far as to say our own government with its band of characters is a complete mockery of what was originally intended. Corrupt from the ground up, mocked daily, and hardly believed at face value. I’d also go so far as to say the Mexican government is even more of a sham.

In person, we’d all gather round and poke fun at all of them. Now, for whatever reason, we want to quote them and defend their statements as though they were made in pure honesty? We want to pick them apart for fact vs. truth while simultaneously arguing over who has a better “source.”

He’s a politician; he’s the president of Mexico, for Christ’s sake. He can’t publicly state he’s going to interfere with our elections. So because he didn’t say it means he won’t do it?

He also can’t publicly state he’s full of shit, just like ours can’t, even though we know that to be the case. So we know they’re full of shit yet we want to hyper-analyze their quotes and argue over them? You’re arguing over a corrupt liar’s comments. Let that register.

The idea that y’all are putting so much time and energy into the comments of one sham establishment vs. another is beyond me. Four years of “he’s an idiot” vs. the next four years of “no he’s an idiot.” Meanwhile, the train moves along. Open your eyes.

I’ve never understood why people get so wrapped up in politics. They’re all liars and scum bags. Let them play their little games and go have a bowl, pet your dog, hug your cat, or have a big breakfast with your wife. Happiness is there if you want it.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I’d go so far as to say our own government with its band of characters is a complete mockery of what was originally intended. Corrupt from the ground up, mocked daily, and hardly believed at face value. I’d also go so far as to say the Mexican government is even more of a sham.

I’ve never understood why people get so wrapped up in politics. They’re all liars and scum bags.
I agree with you, generally. My problem is that perpetuating this myth of widespread, organized voter fraud (especially from an extra-national source) distracts us from the actual problems within our government. If we're too busy chasing these phantoms we can't possibly address the actual rot of corruption in the heart of our democracy.

Here's where you lose me, though:
Let them play their little games and go have a bowl, pet your dog, hug your cat, or have a big breakfast with your wife. Happiness is there if you want it.

To abstain from engaging in the process completely is to hand over our country to the corrupt interests which would love nothing more than for us to do just that. I admit they already have a possibly irreversible stranglehold on us, but are you actually suggesting we just concede? I can play with my dogs, enjoy a meal with my girlfriend, and be happy while still demanding our country lives up to its democratic potential.

Reactions: stearmandriver

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I agree with you, generally. My problem is that perpetuating this myth of widespread, organized voter fraud (especially from an extra-national source) distracts us from the actual problems within our government. If we're too busy chasing these phantoms we can't possibly address the actual rot of corruption in the heart of our democracy.

Here's where you lose me, though:

To abstain from engaging in the process completely is to hand over our country to the corrupt interests which would love nothing more than for us to do just that. I admit they already have a possibly irreversible stranglehold on us, but are you actually suggesting we just concede? I can play with my dogs, enjoy a meal with my girlfriend, and be happy while still demanding our country lives up to its democratic potential.

What are you doing about it other than bitching on a forum? How in the hell is that holding anyone accountable?

My abstinence is just as effective as your whining (except I get to be happy).

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I vote third party. Many, n fact most, state I am throwing my vote away. After every election, each party examines the votes. My third party vote Sends a message to those who count and examine the votes. If enough people vote differently, eventually we will have third parties and democracy will have a better chance.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
What are you doing about it other than bitching on a forum? How in the hell is that holding anyone accountable?

My abstinence is just as effective as your whining.
I go to political protests, I engage with my elected representatives, I donate money to politicians I believe in, I sign initiatives I support, I debate politics with those interested in actual discussions, and I vote. Also, I bitch on forums just in case that helps.

What I don't do is encourage people to let American democracy die in the name of breakfast.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I go to political protests, I engage with my elected representatives, I donate money to politicians I believe in, I sign initiatives I support, I debate politics with those interested in actual discussions, and I vote. Also, I bitch on forums just in case that helps.

What I don't do is encourage people to let American democracy die in the name of breakfast.

If you think American democracy is alive, this conversation is pointless.

Adios.

Reactions: olkofri

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think the long hair thing started before that?............... Don't blame it on those damned "Beatles".

View attachment 208919

That picture was hung in every Campbelite church I ever visited, growing up.

By the way, it only dates back to 1940, painted by Walter Sallman. We were all taught that.

One of the most vivid memories I have about Sallman’s Christ was those old time preachers getting wound up, and leaning over the dais, and looking in all of our eyes,,,,

Isn’t that a perfect specimen of young manhood and beauty, hanging on that wall?

Won’t you be glad to stand in front of Him at the Last Judgement, to see if He resembles that painting at all?

Because He didn’t look like that!!!

He was Jewish, his hair was dark and curly, he had dark olive skin,, he was dirty, smelly and unshaven, and he looked just like that Tramp on the Street you might have turned away from, and crossed to the other side of the street.

And He will judge you, as you judge that tramp on the street.

About that time they’d have the obligatory special music, always as good as if you’d been sitting at the Grand Ole Opry:

Back then I thought we belonged to the most conservative sect in all Christendom.

I had no idea we’d be considered “woke” in just my lifetime.:)

Reactions: MarcosEZLN
Status
Not open for further replies.