buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
May get back out there after work tonight.Told Arnold to hold on

to another Upshall for me.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Well I stopped by yesterday and spent about 2 hours there. I bought 2 estate pipes for $27 bucks. They are great pipes IMO for 12.95 each and neither seemed as though they had been smoked much. One is a straight grain billiard stamped L.J. Perreti and the other is a panel billiard stamped Tinder Box Deep Grain Grecian Briar. They are currently getting a salt and alchol treatment and I will put up some pics later. I also ran into jeglwar (John)there as I was leaving, nice to meet you sir.
All in all it is a solid little shop. The owners are fantastic and Arnold is very knowledgeable about pipes. It is not a huge store but I was not dissapointed. The prices are fair. They are not trying to make an obscene profit off of you, just enough to keep the place going. Having grown up in nearby Hartwell, I can appreciate an old business like this in an area that is truly not the same as it was in the 80's when I was there as a child

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i could not make it yesterday.maybe tonight if the rain slows down.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
If there will be a meeting of the minds I am in. Date and time, I think jim and arnold could use the business

cheers jeff.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Hello,
Another Cincinnati 'Westsider" here, living in Covedale. Carousel is a great store, with friendly knowledgeable service. In fact I'm heading there tomorrow afternoon to restock!
Cheers,
Craig

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Sounds like I'll be stopping there on my way to Michigan later this year.
Wish we had a place like this in South Florida..................

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Holy Cow--it's still there!!!!!! And in the same place, no less.

I had been customer for some years in the early 70's while I was in grad school, and in 1974, when I had completed my dissertation, and having little to do for the next few months, I went to work for Arnold. What a blast! It gave me the opportunity to buy some pipes and other articles at employee's price, learn a bit about tobacco blending from Arnold, and just have a great time selling pipes and tobaccos to other pipers, back in the day when pipe smoking was more common than it is now. The months that I spent there were rather happy ones, surrounded by a rich fragrance of pipes, tobaccos, and other things, and even the cleanup work, dusting off pipes, arranging cigars, checking the tobacco jars, etc., was fun. Even today I brag about having worked in a real, old-time tobacco shop--and it was great fun all the way!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ravkesef:
I'd bet most of us can't conjure up pleasant memories of early jobs we've held. But your recollections of working at the Carrousel Tobacco Shoppe are - if I can use use this word without sounding too gay - charming.
Earlier today, at my local B&M, a guy asked me if I reviewed tobaccos at tobaccoreviews.com. I said of course not because I don't have the experience or knowledge to discuss tobacco. Yet, I worked in a retail liquor chain for several years and, after being a bartender for eight years, I can talk sour mash, single mash and vino out the wazoo with anybody. (No shit, I once tasted the 1945 "V for Victory" Chateau Lafitte and didn't eat, drink or smoke for over 10 hours. Talk about intense.)
What you wrote made my day, friend-o.
Fnord

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Im in mr english. If we can work out a date and time. Get the cincy and ky guys there too.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Hobie, it would be easier getting the Queen to vist than getting Penzance. I will ask this week when i go for more bulk.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
thanks, Fnord, for the nice strokes. And--let me add this, now being retired, I've often thought that working again at a real pipe shop, cleaning pipes, talking up the product, sniffing the fragrances would still be a lot of fun. And all this not because I need the job or the money, but because it's such a great thing to be doing. Sad to relate, that kind of place doesn't exist anywhere near where I live, and even sadder, such places have become few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.