SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Slow cooking a pot roast right now, the Le Creuset has a heaping helping of orange carrots - anybody has a problem with that come on over, I’ve got your William of Orange right here baby!

Ha ha. I find it pretty interesting that many of the vegetables that we grow/eat nowadays are so much different than what were cultivated hundreds of years ago, and for that matter that many interesting varietals are hard to find unless one grows them. If you go to a farmer's market or specialty grocery store white carrots are treated like they are exotic while in fact they were once considered basic, etc.

Reactions: sandollars

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Very interesting and I didn't know this piece of horticultural history. I'm stuck growing a few varieties of reddish orange carrots due to our heavy clay soil. I'd love to grow purples and whites and yellows, but it will take quite a few years of developing and enriching my garden beds to possibly support that.

Jan 27, 2020
Very interesting and I didn't know this piece of horticultural history. I'm stuck growing a few varieties of reddish orange carrots due to our heavy clay soil. I'd love to grow purples and whites and yellows, but it will take quite a few years of developing and enriching my garden beds to possibly support that.

You can choose your vegetables but you can't choose your soil.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't say I feel Dutch but then again I really like raw carrots. Well, I I love a good beef stew that contains carrots. Unfortunately I can't stand just cooked carrots.

Reactions: anotherbob

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'll play, I feel Dutch all the time haha. I like the non orange carrots more, the "natural" versions are more sweet to me.

And I dislike a lot of things having to do with our House of Orange, no one should be boss because of the family your born in, even if it is kind of ceremonial they are still formally ruler of our country.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Of course carrots were originally white. I grew some once just as an experiment, pretty bland tasting though the sheep loved them!

My favourite way of cooking carrots was to boil them in salted water as normal, then take them out & drain them. Have a pot on the stove with a good knob of melted butter & freshly chopped parsley on the go and drop the carrots in.

Heat a while then put the pot lid on & give them a good shake.....repeat about 4 times.....bloody delicious :)

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Hovannes
Jan 27, 2020
Of course carrots were originally white. I grew some once just as an experiment, pretty bland tasting though the sheep loved them!

My favourite way of cooking carrots was to boil them in salted water as normal, then take them out & drain them. Have a pot on the stove with a good knob of melted butter & freshly chopped parsley on the go and drop the carrots in.

Heat a while then put the pot lid on & give them a good shake.....repeat about 4 times.....bloody delicious :)

Regards,

Jay.

You should consider making glazed carrots the French way, essentially you place the butter, carrots and a small amount of water in the same skillet to cook them.

Jan 27, 2020
I did not know this. I'm a little shaken. What about grass? Did that also use to be white and purple?

You are close. The grass that we now commonly use for landscaping was originally transparent and only found in caves as it was apparently used by our ancestors as a sort of carpeting thus the commonly used phrase "the grass really pulls the cave together". Which is strange considering that it was transparent and really did not add much of a decorative element.

• Haha
Reactions: monty55 and workman