PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
No thank you. I don’t like it at all. I really like Watch City Old Dominion and 558 flakes. I love Veermaster and OGS. I like Opening Night and 507-C and Newminster 400 and PS LNF and HU Haymaker and…you get the idea. I cannot wrap my mind or pallette around Carolina Red Flake. This tin of 2018 has been in a jar for 6 months. I find it bland but also ashy and tingly. I get 0 bread, or fruit, or molasses. I know it’s quality tobacco so I’m not saying it sucks, it’s just not for me. I understand Virginia tobacco. I understand how to smoke it and I am able to perceive deep, delicious, satisfying smokes from ALL of the aforementioned blends except CRF. As soon as I’m able to sell here, it’s gone. Thank you for reading.

I know my way around VAs and you are exactly right. The problem is low natural sugar content VAs combined with a general aversion to casings across the board at C&D. Every year CRF is released I‘m surprised to see that the natural sugar content is right there on the label- good for them for being up front but I’m guessing they are betting on most people having no idea what that number means. It has ranged from 8 to 13%. McClelland VAs were usually 20% plus, and closed shop when they could no longer source that kind of leaf. Casings can help make up for low sugar content but C&D seems to want to keep that to an absolute minimum. For me, low sugar content VAs with minimal casing taste just like raw burley. A lot of people seem to like that, I don’t.

Aside from how it tastes fresh, low sugar content crushes aging potential. Fermentation is a big part of aging and that requires sugar, natural or added. C&D VAs seem impervious to aging, especially those from about 2012 on. I think that’s due to low sugar content and minimal casing.

I‘m not a C&D hater, I remember calling in orders 20 years ago and ordering blends by the pound and for $2 more they would press them into a brick for you, any blend. I just think VAs have never been their strong suit.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sugars and Virginia tobacco can in some respects be a double edged sword.

In most cases you get the best flavor out of a Virginia tobacco by using a smaller bowl and “sipping” the tobacco, letting the pipe rest for period of time while smoking, not allowing it to get too hot.

Most pipe smokers develop a routine over time that allows them to get the best enjoyment out of their particular Virginia.

So experimentation is in order to get the best out of them.

Blenders have to make certain trade offs to get the best response for different blends.

This article from Mac Baren sheds some light on Virginias…

As for me, I love CRF.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Unless you have some sort of medical issue or body sensitivity, I wouldn’t give up trying.

If it helps, for some encouragement, I’m a lightweight, and very sensitive, but I’ve found a way.

I must admit, it did take me around 6-8 months, it took some time.

Red VAs and Brights are more irritating, also just like any blend, the fresher/younger it is, greater the chances for irritation. So be on the look out for aged tins to get a hold of.

Tastes are certainly subjective, and inexpensive pipes can certainly smoke as nice an expensive ones, so I would make sure you know the pipe you are using for VAs is a nice one.

When you say; Hot & Ash, I have noticed this also to be true, when smoking a VA to fast, or keeping the pipe lit for too long.

Also whatever you drink and eat while smoking can affect your palate in a negative way.

So, for anyone experiencing issues with VAs, the only way I see smoking them, is to barely light the pipe, take a few very small sips, that’s all, no big mouth full of smoke, and then let the pipe go out and cool down before relighting.

I think for anyone struggling, Light Aro VAs, or VaBur, or VA forward blends, are the way to transition.

Something also to consider, maybe PG with VAs is also creating problems. PG does irritate people, possibly combined with VAs, it is to much.

I’d also look at G.L. Pease’s VAs, as Greg uses no PG.

Grousemoor has a lot of very nice VA notes, not drowned in the topping.

John Aylesbury Sir John's Flake, is a very nice light VA aro.

Esoterica Brighton and Tilbury are very mild, also Dunbar, Dorchester.

When I light VAs, I only light them as much as it takes, just to get a few small sips, no big glowing ember.
Some never find a liking for Virginias regardless of the pipe used. Forum member npod who has one of the biggest collections of Castellos I've seen often commented on continous attempts to like them because he thought that made someone a serious pipe smoker. He settled on and was happy enjoying burley.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I agree.

CRF absolutely bit/burnt the shit out of the inside of my mouth for whatever reason. I struggle with straight reds and red heavy blends for this reason but CRF killed me within 3 puffs.

I'm not saying it's bad tobacco or even bad tasting but it just doesn't work for me.

As far as ashy/acrid tastes in tobacco I find keeping the smoke as cool as possible usually helps resolve that.

Reactions: ram74 and PipeIT

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have options. Sell it, gift it, or put it in a jar and try it again in a year or two.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In most cases you get the best flavor out of a Virginia tobacco by using a smaller bowl and “sipping” the tobacco, letting the pipe rest for period of time while smoking, not allowing it to get too hot.

I agree on small pipes, +1! 👍

My tiny Bay Denmark apple is my VA only blend pipe, and this is very small, slowly is the only way to go. ;)

87CE65AB-AA70-42B9-98B8-0312CD311AB6.jpeg

Reactions: UncleRasta

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I haven’t had any since it’s first release in 2016. I really enjoyed it and have bought several releases since then. I need to pop a tin soon but as usual I’m popping more tins than I can smoke I need to smoke through some of the stuff I already have open. I’m somewhere in the 200 to 250 jars that I consider open, so it’s going to take awhile. I really like the barnyard rustic bold flavors that CD VA’s offer. Add in some stanky Perique and I love it even more. Haha.

I’m one of those that prefer VA’s in large, wide bowls but I do enjoy them in narrow chambers from time to time.