PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After listening to this video, I'd say no to Renaissance Wax. The video mentions replacing the "oiling" of arms and armour". I'm not sure we need that on the briar. Gun stocks aren't smoked, so penetration into those kinds of woods aren't harmful, but it isn't something I'd want on my briar. (it also has an odor)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZagOg2Bek

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I use this stuff because the wife had it for some reason.. I do all my buffing by hand and it seems to work fine.

85C25.jpg

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Since I live in Japan it is hard to find these types of items. This is for guitars and claims to be 100 percent, although it is in a liquid form. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for the help.
315cZx1WJSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think that would be fine, although hard to say 100% without ingredient listing. Why not just mail order a bar of carnuba from Woodcraft via Amazon? (I saw the picture is from Amazon) Guessing the shipping might be high.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I'll second the suggestion of Halcyon II wax, which is made for briar pipes. It will give you a great heat resistent shine with no buffing.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I have a pet Madagascar Hissing Cockroach...Every three weeks I rub a little resin off his butt with pure grain alcohol and apply that to my pipes...Seems to work really well...and it seems like the cockroach likes it...

v7dsn8.jpg

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Sex Wax is carnuba? I did not know that. It surely is tough enough to be. I've a couple cakes in a long ago stored gear bag (from our windsurfing days.) Now to figure a buffing solution w/o major investment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Zack, the resin of the Madagascar cockroach is known to be abrasive. You need the juice from a NYC cockroach as to not damage your briar.
American-cockroach.jpg

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Zack is totally correct. The car wax companies talk about 100% Carnauba wax and only mean that they only use Carnauba as the main wax. (as apposed to mixing with beeswax as an example.)
As another hobby, I got into heavy car detailing (my own cars only). Liquid car waxes and paste waxes have many other ingredients added so the wax is usable (spreadable). You would be surprised to know that most car "waxes" are less than 30% carnauba.Heck, anymore most car waxes aren't even waxes but are synthetics.
More info

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38432

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
On the Eastern Shore of Virginia we have a very useful bug that is protected but abundant enough to use for pipe preservation; the Tiger Beetle. Very pretty and just as lovely as some of the pipes that they allow repair...

Cicindeladorsalis_zpse1a55b8d.jpg

Spencer

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The formula of the famous Halcyon 11 wax ( actually microcrystalline wax too ) is based on that of the Renaissance wax, dating from 1955. As the H. is somewhat troublesome to obtain in Europe most European and also members of the International Peterson Club are very enthusiastic on the Renaissance wax. One does not need a buffer and I mostly apply it on the rusticated bowls. No odor what so ever, but that is only my nose telling me :)

Sure, it be can applied on almost anything, like stone, leather, oil paintings, bakelite and guns too.

So does the Halcyon, it even says so on the packing. Difference between the two is hardly noticable. Carnauba wax looks great and lasts for three burns or so.

A good quality pure beeswax does a perfect job, will not last that long, but I like to buff my pipes every now and then. And what to think of sophisticated nutral shoe polish that contains mostly carnauba ? When the rim of your bowl gets weary because of all the cleaning a LITTLE shoe polish works perfect to bring back the color of the stain.

Maybe there's a lot of humbug too on so called special developed products ...

Status
Not open for further replies.