"Carlo Scotti" Brand? Did I Miss something?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Leavenworth/Seattle Washington
Greetings

I was just perusing eBay, checking out Castellos and came across a couple of new, unsmoked pipes stamped with the name "Carlo Scotti". The word Castello is nowhere to be seen -- just Carlo Scotti. The pipes seem decent, but are priced quite low.

Having imbibed in the pipe for over 50 years, I've managed to accumulate many Castellos but have never come across anything like this.
I asked the seller if he knew who made these, and where they were manufactured. His reply was that he didn't believe it was the same "Carlo Scotti". He added that the pipes were nice, but not of Castello quality.

One would wonder, how many Carlo Scotti's are out there? Not to mention, he's been dead for awhile now.
Anybody know anything about this?

Reactions: dunnyboy

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Leavenworth/Seattle Washington
Briar Blues says the very first pipes were made by him in Switzerland 1936.

Could it be and old estate you might be seeing before Castello, or an early Castello when Scotti began, and Castello wasn’t stamped on the pipe?

Please show some pics?
The pipes are new. I did save some of the photos but they're from an eBay listing and I'm not clear on the legality of my posting them here.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Briar Blues says the very first pipes were made by him in Switzerland 1936.

Could it be and old estate you might be seeing before Castello, or an early Castello when Scotti began, and Castello wasn’t stamped on the pipe?

Please show some pics?
Yes, but like the latest Castello pipes today, stamped Kino (in an oval). I believe the earlier ones were stamped Scotti (in oval).
puffy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here's one that just sold.............. Don't know anything about it but just stumbled upon it and remembered this thread...........

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Interesting.
Also of note, the earlier Castello pipes also stamped their castle emblem into their pipes, this would identify the year it was made too. Latterly, the numbering designation changed, that is to say the number stamped in the castle logo is to be added to the number (I forget when it happened) to give you the actual year of production.
The pipe Beefeater has posted has Carlo Scotti in oval, hand made and a number 6. In fairness, the guy selling it also mentions that he's not sure if there's any connection to Castello.
IMHO. these are relatively newish pipes, being made by somebody coincidentally called Carlo Scotti, or see my earlier post of somebody shilling of off Castello.
1657147473236.png

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m not a Castello expert, but I’ve never seen before a Churchwarden, or a pipe made with bamboo on it by Castello before... hmm ?

These don’t look like Castello pipes.

Also in the pic of the bamboo one, I saw a bigger pic of it online, awful looking wood, no grains in it, very cheap looking. Castello didn’t make that pipe.

I don’t believe either of those are Castello pipes, not typical of their styles Castello are known for.

P.S. In the future, please post links to the listings so we can see them better.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I’m not a Castello expert, but I’ve never seen before a Churchwarden, or a pipe made with bamboo on it by Castello before... hmm ?

These don’t look like Castello pipes.

Also in the pic of the bamboo one, I saw a bigger pic of it online, awful looking wood, no grains in it, very cheap looking. Castello didn’t make that pipe.

I don’t believe either of those are Castello pipes, not typical of their styles Castello are known for.

P.S. In the future, please post links to the listings so we can see them better.
Yeah, I haven't either, if I'm honest.