PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
On a whim, I just bought a Carey Magic Inch pipe from eBay for $25. It looks like a nice pipe and I sort of like filtered pipes. I have never seen one of these before and wonder if some of you have one and what do you think of it. Did I waste my money?
Carey Magic Inch

1SD9tTG.jpg

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
No you haven’t wasted your money, but you should invest in some paperrets from E A Carey’s they are dirt cheap and last about 10 smokes each filter.

The pipe will not work without them properly.

You got a high end Careys magic inch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had an EA Carey years ago. The carburetor feature did nothing for me, became annoying, and after I taped over it, still made the pipe an inferior smoker. But some folks like 'em, so give it a try. I'm not much on filters, only for occasionally tuning down a strong blend, or smoking more than routine like at pipe club or show. Let us know how it goes.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
No you haven’t wasted your money, but you should invest in some paperrets from E A Carey’s they are dirt cheap and last about 10 smokes each filter.

The pipe will not work without them properly.

You got a high end Careys magic inch.

I ordered a box of paperrets as soon as I won the pipe. I will post my results when I get the ie and have time to smoke a couple of bowls. On some pipes I have decided that a filter smooths things out and lets me enjoy a drier smoke. On others, it seems to make the draw too tight. I guess it depends on the pipe and the smoker. Thanks for the response.

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
I started my collection by buying every non-cracked pipe I saw in thrift stores, and ened up with 2 Magic Inches. Smoked them for a while before I knew that there was some kind of filter or something. Assumed the "magic" was all in the slits cut in the stem. Still haven't ever put one in, but I also don't smoke them often now that my collection has a few pipes I like better. What exactly does the "paperette" do for the pipe, and how does it differ from a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.