PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
arthur what about a delrin sleeve to replace the paper filter over the six small holes?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I still don't understand the magic inch concept. Is is like your smoke goes through a time-space wormhole and ends up an inch from where it was originally located? The name sounds like something that would have "Smilin' Bob" in the commercial.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Unclearthur has more gumption than I, I just put electrical tape over the vents, after I've removed the tube.

I think the old patents are made from good briar, but I've not seen too many of the "grecian" marked pipes that are too impressive.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
They have a following - but like Uncle A. I hate filters and the carey is a big pain in the butt with the holes in the stem. I got one off of ebay (unsuspectedly - didn't say carey magic inch in description) - smoked it once and ended up gifting it to a friend who liked filter pipes.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Shaintiques, I ordered one of their clearance pipes that comes with 4 oz of tobacco. It is a straight billiard sandblast briar. The pipe with the tobacco was 29.99. Not sure what everyone's problem is with them, I like it just fine. But then again, I don't own oodles of expensive pipes and my comparison is based on that. I have 2 cobs, a lucienne and my carey magic inch. You want a decent pipe for little cost, buy it. There is nothing wrong with them. And the smoke does not escape from the vent holes, the stem is designed in a way that, in my opinion, makes sense. It allows outside air into the stem which mixes with the smoke. They claim it makes the smoke cooler. To me, it seems to work. Not to mention they are handmade. Not a lot of pipes in that price range that are. If you have any questions or want some good pics of it just lemme know. Tell you what, you order one, if you don't like it, you can gift it to me :>

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Oh, and they make non system pipes too that are also affordable.

eddy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
AZ
Smoking one now. It does take a bit of the taste of the tobacco off, due to the extra air. Still playing with it. It may work best when I smoke a heavy English blend, that may be a bit much much for me normally. Mine seems to smoke well, the Briar seems to be a good quality and it looks nice. My biggest complaint is the stem- it has a cheap feel and marks easily.

When I eventually match the right tobacco, it will be fine for me.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've got one I'm quite fond of, it didn't have the sleeve/filter/crap hole..whatever you want to call it, I read it wasn't any good so I found some epoxy that is non-toxic to fill the holes, I was afraid the black wouldn't match so I used white, kind of a neat looking contrast. I do plan to change the stem eventually, I.e. when I learn more bout that stuff, but its doin the job for now

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I've got one I'm quite fond of, it didn't have the sleeve/filter/crap hole..whatever you want to call it, I read it wasn't any good so I found some epoxy that is non-toxic to fill the holes, I was afraid the black wouldn't match so I used white, kind of a neat looking contrast. I do plan to change the stem eventually, I.e. when I learn more bout that stuff, but its doin the job for now
Zactly.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
magic inch pipes are great!!! You smoke what you have.. not everyone can afford a high end pipe, if it smokes it,use it.

graywriter

Lurker
Sep 13, 2015
Going to bump an old thread; just found it.
I bought a Carey Magic Inch pipe some forty years ago; it was a second, on sale, but I couldn't see much wrong with it except for a nicely-matched patch or fill at the top of the bowl. My wife persuaded me to also buy 10 boxes of filters (they were $0.25 then). I smoked that pipe for 30 years, until the patch, and a couple of other patches that I hadn't even noticed, loosened.
I ordered another Carey. It worked, and the old filters fit it, but it was not nearly of the quality of that first one. As noted in other posts, the stem seemed flimsy; the briar didn't seem as tight-grained; and the bottom burned out after a couple of years (one of only two burnouts I've had in forty years, one in the Carey, and the other in a cheap Italian briar). I drilled out the bottom of the Carey with a 1/4" bit, drove in a bit of hardwood and smoothed and stained it to match. I broke the pipe in again and it's still going fine.
I generally moisten the paper filter with a little Kahlua or Tia Maria to start it working. It might gum up the filter a little faster, but I still have three boxes (30 filters) left.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a patent era Carey that was my grandfathers. I put my fingers over the vents when lighting it. A bit tricky to get lit but it's a decent smoker once it's burning. It has a nice thick bowl and is light and balanced. It's good for smoking shag cut.
DVpTG35l.jpg

KcLTg2dl.jpg

2hmHeBzl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.