PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankth

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
I have an old Carey Magic Inch sleeping on my pipe rack for a while. Any impression on how it smoke ? I don't have any vulcanite Kinda filters by the way, its a pipe I bought from an estate lot. I am not sure about the Stem, any advise?

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
I have one. It's a nice, dry smoke, even with very wet tobaccos. It won't draw for crap without a Papyrate insert, though. You can get them on the E.A. Carey site or Ebay (a scrap of coffee filter and some spit will do in a pinch). Or you can put a little tape around the outer openings and smoke it without - but that kinda defeats the purpose, to my mind.

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
Just for the record, though, they're not filters - there's nothing between you and the tobacco. Best I can figure, it's more like a wick to capture the moisture.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Got the Carey coupon and just bought 2 more Carey pipes(I'm such a cheap pipe whore)...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a Carey getting restored by Pruss, guess I better pickup some of the filter thingies before I attempt to smoke the pipe.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have an old carey magic inch as well.... Picked it up at an antique store. The owner tried to tell me that it was a 200 dollar pipe, so I promptly pulled out my smart phone and looked up the pipe and showed it to him (a giant 18 bucks online) so I gave him 15 for it and never went back haha! It smokes pretty decent , its an old model and more of a display pipe for me.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I have had several over the years. Not great, but not that bad either. Cleaning is a bit of a bear in that the Magic Inch insert always seem to have a little edge that picks up pipe cleaner lint and gunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.