SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on Solani , Wessex and Five Brohers; you won't find the Solani and Wessex around much / always out-of-stock

I do really enjoy University Flake from time to time, nice VaBur as well as C&D's Night Train. I have heard good things about Mac B's HH Burley Flake ( Can get it by the 1lb at SmokingPipes...damn you TAD! ) also some others to mention that you might want to try Mac B's Old Dark Fired ( smoked lbs of this stuff ), Peterson's 3 Ps Perfect Plug, C&D's Billy Budd and GLP's JKP &/or RR. That should give you a nice spectrum and need those master blenders that "know" how to use Burley otherwise harsh, bitter and edges that will rip you apart, haha

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
• Mac Baren HH Burley Flake (easily in my top 5 burley)
• LJP makes several that are supposed to be good, haven't gotten around to them myself.
• C&D Old Joe Krantz (the original brown one, might also like the blue label one, but I can't personally recommend it as I haven't tried it)
• Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Not exactly BURLEY burley, but Mac Baren Navy Flake is burley based, and it's kind of like the burley version of PS LNF.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
It’s all about what you want—what makes a good burley to you.

If you want rough around the edges, haunted book shop, krantz, 5 bros, peg—these are rugged alkaline unflavored air cured dominant.

If you want cocoa notes, one of the codger burleys. I would include ABF in the flavored camp and recommend it.

Then there’s dfk

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Mac Baren London Burley - milk chocolate

Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut - dry cocoa, rich burley

Sutliff Ready Rub match - cocoa, bread, cedar pencil shavings

Low Country Natural Virginia&Burley - Dark burley in combination with red Virginia, no flavours added. Kind of like OJK or HB without perique.

Daughters and Ryan Two Timer - unadulterated toasted burley