PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Calling on all of your collective experience, is there a certain tobacco that builds the carbon up on the bowl quicker when breaking in a new pipe?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I lightly sand the chamber of a new pipe to give the cake an little extra something to grab onto, then I smoke whatever tastes good in it. Presto, cake!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have no idea why pipe makers polish the bowl so smoothly. A rougher texture will DEFINITELY give the cake something to grab onto.
aaronbear, just smoke what you like. The cake will happen.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The general consensus around here is to keep it thin, and I keep mine down to the bare minimum. Burley seems to be best at cake building, but I would suggest if you have a favorite tobacco, smoke away, and the cake it forms will retain the flavors of your favorite. Mixing too many different tobaccos may muddy your pipe us as well, but I found that a thin cake absorbs few ghosts.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As for tobaccos that facilitate the building up of a good carbon cake...

I would recommend that you try some "Codger" Blends.

They seem to build a cake fairly quickly.

However; one has to maintain the build up so it stays solid and doesn't stay soft.

You can do this by "screwing-in" a paper towel after a few bowls, then letting the pipe rest a bit.

'Lather Rinse Repeat'

This will build up a considerable cake fairly quickly.

The trick is to "keep it smooth, and allow it to dry".
:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I subscribe to Lawrence's technique and used it on the last 4 or so new pipes, both pre-carboned and bare wood.

This resulted in a thin but incredibly hard shell of carbon coating. I think the paper towel thing is by-and-large

responsible for the results, and he's made a believer outta me. I smoke mostly Va's, VaPers, and Haunted Bookshop.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Some swear by applying a coating of honey to the inside of the bowl. I have never tried this. I say smoke and wipe out. If you are dedicating your pipe either to a specific blend or type of tobacco it really won't take long. If you are constantly changing tobaccos be aware you will get ghosting.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Check THIS thread out.
Action Bastard HO!

actionbastard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.