PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Tin description: "Diamond Head is a celebration of all marriage. First is the marriage of Captain Earle and Honor Matthews on December 27, 1895. Second is the marriage of an 1890's Atlas Blending Company blend with today's Latakia, Red Virginia plus small leaf tobaccos creating Captain Earle's latest blend, Diamond Head. Truly this is a celebrated marriage."
Opening the tin reveals a typical C&D Crumble Cake, which is often described as being like a big brownie. The tin note is an enticing blend of of top quality Oriental leaf. There is certainly Katerini and Samsun here, plus a few others I can only guess at (the "small leaf" in the description). As with most C&D blends, the moisture level is low and, for me, at a perfect smoking level without any drying time. It lights easily and burns to a light ash with little need for re-lights.
This is a much more subtle blend than the others in the Captain Earle series, which are much more "In-your-face", starting with a rich full flavor and building from there. The initial light of Diamond Head brings a fairly mild Bright Leaf VA taste with a high natural sweetness. As you work down the bowl, the Orientals take turns dominating the taste. The flavor changes very smoothly, this is a blend that deserves your attention as the complexity develops. Latakia, which is prominent in the description, is definitely a minor condiment in the overall taste. The smokiness is there, but this is certainly no "Latakia Bomb".
Those who are big fans of the heavier taste of the other Captain Earle's blends may be a little disappointed in the subtlety of the latest entry, but as an Oriental fan I really enjoy it. If you've tried other CE blends and were a little put off by the full body, you should definitely give this one a try.
Highly recommended.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I don't try many new blends. There's an abundance of existing blends to enjoy, but your review whets my appetite, and sounds like it would fit my palate to a "T". My favorite from Hermit Tobacco Works is still one of their charter blends "'Mystic Blend". This new one may entice me, thanks for the fine reviiew.

Doc

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I like Captain Earl blends - however- I liked them better before they started pressing them into cakes. Nightwatch was awesome. They make (or did) a Holiday blend which was a non-latakia mixture of Vintage aromatic tobaccos with newer tobaccos - and wasn't pressed. The taste was incredible - however, I havent' seen this floating around so much anymore on the market. The tin art on Holiday blends was always ...well...very festive! Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Unfortunately, the Holiday blends are(?were?) very limited editions (150-200 tins). Unless you can find a few tins that have been cellared, you're out of luck. You can still see some of the tin art here:
http://www.pipestyle.com/vblends.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.