PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
Anyone else noticed that when you crumble out theses cakes from Captain Earle's that they burn rather quickly.
Does anyone have any tips to getting these blends to burn longer? Should I slice the cake, dry it out more, pack it more tightly, put in some baccy in the food processor and chop it more finely?
Any help would be appreciated cuz I have over a pound and have held off on enjoying it because I don't like to waste it.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
In all cases with cake, I don't break off a corner or slice it. I break up the entire cake. I have found that over time, the outer edges of a cake will become very dry while the inner reaches remain moist, leading to inconsistent smoking. Breaking up the entire cake mixes all the tobacco together and provides a more uniform moisture level and, in my opinion, better smoking results. After breaking the cake up, if it's too dry, I will set it in an airtight container with one of those hydration buttons until I like the moisture level. After that, it goes into a jar and is ready to go.
Cheers,
Chili

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chili, that sounds like a plan. I have sliced it and rubbed it out in the past, but your approach seems worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.