PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm having a hard time finding aromatics that don't use Burley. I like English and VaPers but I miss those caramel vanilla blends I can't find any without Burley in it.
burly holds flavors much better then other leafs. So yeah there are some none burley aromatics but they're not the same. (though some of them are favorites Ashton Gold Rush for example).

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I hate that people use the term “cavendish” instead of actually saying what leaf is involved, so this one may not work for you, but I’ve enjoyed Dunhill’s A-21000. It used to be exclusive to Dunhill stores, but It’s apparently still available in bulk online. (And, yes, still sold under the Dunhill name.) Based on my experience, it didn’t feel like a burley blend, given its lack of nicotine punch. And I enjoyed the flavor a little more than MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream. (But I’m not primarily an aromatic smoker.)

Just be aware that this is a fine shag that burns quickly and needs to be smoked quite slowly, or your tongue will pay the price.
FYI, Dunhill’s A-21000 is Lane's 1-Q (bulk of Capt. Black Royal) repackaged. I've seen this verified by Russ Ouellette, and he would know since he works for the company that makes both.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
What's that one like?
Great. It reminds me in a way of adding a cube of sugar and a splash of milk to certain teas. How that still tastes like tea but with certain edges polished off and other flavors lifted up a little. It pretty much tastes like a VA but altered just ever so slightly. It's flavored with lemon and honey. It brightens up what nature gave the VA. In my opinion it's a really excellent blend. On that note I find Consumate Gentleman which is there take on the English Presbyterian style and I find it very moreish and one of the most accurately named tobaccos too.
Gold Rush though is a must try if you like lightly aromatic blends and bright Virginians (sounds like I am talking about well educated people from Va.). And if you don't like it there are a few fans that would make a good trade for an almost full tin.
On the original thread I don't like Captain Black and it's only because I can't dry it to a level I find agreeable. I really love the Seven Seas line which to me is a very darn close match without a level of PG that ruins what would be a great tobacco otherwise. In fact the only issue I have with the Captain is that PG at those levels just doesn't agree with my taste buds and my preference for drier tobacco.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
FYI, Dunhill’s A-21000 is Lane's 1-Q (bulk of Capt. Black Royal) repackaged. I've seen this verified by Russ Ouellette, and he would know since he works for the company that makes both.
Well, presumably, Ouellette should know…but given the blends of his that I’ve smoked, I wouldn’t trust his palate, if it came down to that. Based on my own experience, though, I can say that the smoking experience between 1Q and A-21000 was different to me. I never had any issues with tongue bite with 1Q, while A-21000 required very careful attention.

I’m not saying they aren’t the same blend. I’m saying they didn’t smoke like the same blend to me.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Great. It reminds me in a way of adding a cube of sugar and a splash of milk to certain teas. How that still tastes like tea but with certain edges polished off and other flavors lifted up a little. It pretty much tastes like a VA but altered just ever so slightly. It's flavored with lemon and honey. It brightens up what nature gave the VA. In my opinion it's a really excellent blend. On that note I find Consumate Gentleman which is there take on the English Presbyterian style and I find it very moreish and one of the most accurately named tobaccos too.
Gold Rush though is a must try if you like lightly aromatic blends and bright Virginians (sounds like I am talking about well educated people from Va.). And if you don't like it there are a few fans that would make a good trade for an almost full tin.
On the original thread I don't like Captain Black and it's only because I can't dry it to a level I find agreeable. I really love the Seven Seas line which to me is a very darn close match without a level of PG that ruins what would be a great tobacco otherwise. In fact the only issue I have with the Captain is that PG at those levels just doesn't agree with my taste buds and my preference for drier tobacco.
I agree with this. I do love CB Royal, but the PG is also to much for me. Seven Seas is a good alternative, but I think the CB room note is nicer. Haven't tried White, Gold or Black CB.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Ill have to try them sounds up my ally. I've had 7 seas made my mouth swell cause it had Burley in it but I did enjoy it. I had the cherry, although not as good as Cult Red Moon I thought for the price it was a great cherry blend that was close enough. Ill avoid Captain though I like dryer tobaccos too that aren't goopy. Thanks for the recommendations.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Well, presumably, Ouellette should know…but given the blends of his that I’ve smoked, I wouldn’t trust his palate, if it came down to that. Based on my own experience, though, I can say that the smoking experience between 1Q and A-21000 was different to me. I never had any issues with tongue bite with 1Q, while A-21000 required very careful attention.

I’m not saying they aren’t the same blend. I’m saying they didn’t smoke like the same blend to me.
Personally I am skeptical of the this blend is really this blend but with a different brand or sticker. Not that it doesn't happen. But people seem to really want it to be the case in this weird way that makes it seem like they're willing to jump the gun on it, to a point where I feel as if you'll be right more of the time if you just say you never believe they're the same blend.

I agree with this. I do love CB Royal, but the PG is also to much for me. Seven Seas is a good alternative, but I think the CB room note is nicer. Haven't tried White, Gold or Black CB.
The sad part for me is the Seven Seas and several other blends have a good amount of PG and it's not till the upper reaches that it ruins a blend for me. I've seen charts of the percentages and all the blends I can't stand because of it had a certain really high percent and the ones that could use less but whatever had something like 7 percent (like Sail and Seven Seas). And the sad thing now good thing is I always almost loved the CB except the cherry one (I just don't like cherry and pipe tobacco, just don't) but the PG ruined it. Most of the overly PG blends I just didn't like even if they changed that factor.
Ill have to try them sounds up my ally. I've had 7 seas made my mouth swell cause it had Burley in it but I did enjoy it. I had the cherry, although not as good as Cult Red Moon I thought for the price it was a great cherry blend that was close enough. Ill avoid Captain though I like dryer tobaccos too that aren't goopy. Thanks for the recommendations.
So glad I don't have those sensitivities.